Welcome to our first ever VIDEO and audio podcast (you get to see the inside of my biohacking laboratory!), where I am celebrating by exploring everyone’s favorite topic – sex!
This episode, with co-author of New York Times best seller, Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What it Means for Modern Relationships, Christopher Ryan, gives you a peak into the evolutionary view of human sexual behavior. Sex at Dawn shatters myths surrounding the societal history behind how men and women interact in sexual relationships. Christopher made for a great interview, as he continues to rustle feathers around the ideas of traditional relationships.
Christopher has been on wild ride since he received a BA in English and American literature in 1984, and an MA, and Ph.D. in Psychology twenty years later. He has traveled the world and worked at decidedly odd jobs including: gutting salmon in Alaska, teaching English to prostitutes in Bangkok and self-defense to land-reform activists in Mexico, managing commercial real-estate in New York’s Diamond District, helping Spanish physicians publish their research). In his mid-30s, Christopher decided to pursue doctoral studies in Psychology.
Christopher has guest-lectures and contributes to publications ranging from Behavioral and Brain Sciences (Cambridge University Press) to a textbook used in medical schools and teaching hospitals throughout Spain and Latin America.
Did you know you could receive a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page?
What We Cover
- 1:30 – Christopher Ryan’s Story
- 5:30 – The lead up to Sex at Dawn
- 7:20 – “What is human” vs “What is cultural”
- 9:00 – The Secret Life of Plants
- 11:00 – Dr. Andrew Weil – Plants, Consciousness, and Alternative Medicine
- 15:00 – Let’s Get Dr. Andrew Wile on Joe Rogan!
- 16:15 – 3 minute summary of Sex at Dawn
- 18:00 – “Battle of the sexes” is wrong
- 19:35 – The 4 sources of sex in our ancestors
- 21:00 – Does initial technology come from sexual desire?
- 22:15 – Who was frustrated most by Sex at Dawn?
- 23:00 – The hunter-gatherer principle
- 24:45 – Do you own time or space?
- 25:30 – Where does sharing come into play?
- 27:00 – Flinstone-ization
- 28:10 – What common things hurt sexual performance?
- 31:45 – How to short-circuit shame in the bedroom
- 33:50 – Raise alpha waves? Think about sex!
- 35:00 – Animal anatomy and sex
- 37:20 – How economic inequality relates to stress
- 40:30 – Christopher’s Next Book: Civilized to Death
- 42:45 – You’re rich…now what?
- 43:35 – Not getting “some” & misogyny
- 46:00 – Christopher’s take on Dave’s orgasm experiment
- 47:30 – Testosterone and a novel partner
- 49:30 – Flesh lights
- 50:30 – More about Christopher Ryan
Links From the Show
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in the comments section below so I can answer them in the next podcast.
Please do me the courtesy of leaving a ranking in iTunes. It helps more people find the show!