How Sweden’s Herd-Immunity Approach Defied the World
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
… Swedish journalist Johan Anderberg joins the show to talk about how he captured a rare moment in his country’s history during the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
His book, “The Herd: How Sweden Chose Its Own Path Through the Worst Pandemic in 100 Years,” explains this unique time. In it, he gives a fly-on-the-wall account of the herd-immunity strategy that Sweden adopted during the first year of the pandemic.
- First, the government instituted no restrictions.
- Then, it declined to order that people wear face masks.
- While the rest of the world looked on with incredulity, condemnation, admiration, and even envy, Sweden stood alone in its decisions.
“We have to value the fact that different countries do different things,” Johan says.
Here’s what you’ll learn by listening:
- How the Swedish COVID-19 strategy veered far from what the rest of the world was doing.
- Why “The Swedish Experiment” has been alternately praised and held up as a cautionary tale.
- In what ways Sweden’s laissez-faire strategy with few restrictions worked.
- Differing perspectives—no judgment or right/wrong—about the actions and reactions of governments, communities and individual citizens during a medical crisis.
“It's a really important principle that you should be able to take care of your own body, and it doesn't matter if you make a really bad decision because at least that decision is yours.”
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
SOCIAL: Follow @thehumanupgradepodcast on Instagram and Facebook.
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
Save Time, Burn Fat, Build Muscle:
Visit https://powerplate.com/Dave to save 20% off for a limited time and receive a FREE Power Plate massage gun with purchase
Sleep Better on Natural Memory Foam:
https://myessentia.com, use code DAVEVIP to get an exclusive discount
- A lot of people may not know what Sweden did during the pandemic. – 2:39
- Now two-and-a-half years afterwards, they acknowledge that the stuff they did put in place can for show. – 4:33
- According to the latest stats from the WHO, Sweden is at the bottom of the excess death list in Europe. – 7:47
- Like the war in Iraq that sometimes the data’s wrong and this time it was so blatantly suppressed. Was data suppression in Sweden the same? – 11:57
- You should encourage people to get educated and to be open to debate. – 16:08
- These kinds of problems have always been inherent in epidemiology. It started already with smallpox inoculation. – 19:04
- I don’t really care if other people are vaccinated or not. It’s such a personal decision, and I don’t care what medicines anyone else is on. It’s none of my business. – 24:31
- Far less economic damage in Sweden from what I saw from some numbers. It was half as much devastation for companies in the economy compared to neighboring countries that had bigger shutdowns. – 29:01
- I experienced about a 90% reduction in new accounts, seeing my content during the pandemic. – 33:37
- If we were to have one culture and one government across the entire planet, it’ll probably fail because of a lack of diversity. – 38:05