After being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Terry Wahls used diet and functional medicine to go from being bound to a wheelchair to being able to ride her bike to work. Dr. Wahls discusses her new book The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine and why diet ranks so highly in not just treating illness, but preventing it. You’ll learn about the benefits of neuromuscular stimulation, how to eat using color, and how Terry is using diet to beat MS. Her story makes for one powerful podcast episode!
After being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, Dr. Wahls began studying the latest research on autoimmune disease and brain biology. She decided to get her vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids from the food she ate rather than relying on prescription drugs. Dr. Wahls adopted a nutrient-rich Paleo-style diet, gradually refining and integrating it with a regimen of neuromuscular stimulation. First, she walked slowly, then steadily, and then she eventually was able to bike eighteen miles in a single day. In November 2011, Dr. Wahls shared her remarkable recovery in a TEDx talk, Minding My Mitochondria, that immediately went viral. Now, in The Wahls Protocol, she shares the details of the protocol that allowed her to reverse many of her symptoms, get back to her life, and embark on a new mission: to share her findings and results with others suffering from the ravages of multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune conditions.
Did you know you could receive a free copy of the Bulletproof Diet, the Bulletproof Shopping Guide, and much more by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page?
Click here to download the mp3 of Podcast #70 with Dr. Terry Wahls
What You’ll Hear
- 0:31 – Intro
- 2:00 – Welcome Terry Wahls and The Basics of, The Wahls Protocol
- 4:15 – Similarities between the Bulletproof lifestyle and The Wahls Protocol
- 4:45 – Mitochondria, Multiple Sclerosis, and her early Paleo Diet
- 7:30 – Scanning the brain
- 9:00 – Spinal taps and electrical stimulation
- 15:09 – Low-dose Naltrexone treatment
- 18:50 – The Wahls Diet most effective for fatigue
- 20:00 – The importance of micronutrients in the The Wahls Diet
- 22:00 – Diet is important for preventing disease
- 24:00 – Is the medical community coming along with functional medicine?
- 25:10 – It’s all about the clinical research and measured results
- 26:10 – How to study polyphenols effectively
- 28:00 – Why are colors so important in The Wahls Diet?
- 29:00 – Does Dr. Wahls like coffee?
- 30:12 – How to get more polyphenols in your diet
- 32:50 – How to eat fresh
- 34:00 – Powdered vegetable blends and mold toxins!
- 35:30 – Garlic and onions and blood fluidity and the importance of glutathione
- 38:00 – Garlic: not just for keeping vampires away!
- 40:00 – Dr. Wahls take on raw meat
- 42:40 – The cost of neuromuscular stimulation at home
- 45:00 – Dave uses neuromuscular stimulation to work out!
- 46:00 – Bulletproof Conference 2013
- 47:00 – E-stim is being used across the board in the healthcare industry
- 49:00 – Dr. Wahls’ top 3 recommendations for kicking more ass and being more Bulletproof!
Minding My Mitochondria – Dr. Wahls at the Ancestral Health Symposium
New Bulletproof Diet Infographic!
Bulletproof Upgraded Glutathione Force
Questions for the Podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in the comments section below. If you want your question to be featured on the next Q&A episode, submit it in the Podcast Question form!
You can also ask your questions and engage with other listeners through The Bulletproof Forum, Twitter, and Facebook!