This episode of Bulletproof Radio covers the human side of grief and loss and love and community and courage. These are things that you might find yourself saying, “Well, wait. What does that have to do with biohacking or human performance?”
These have to do with the parts of being human that we all go through in our lives. They’re parts that we oftentimes don’t talk about because they’re uncomfortable and we’re wired in ourselves to avoid things that are uncomfortable.
However, if you do think about them, it gives you enormous opportunity for growth and enormous opportunity to be a better human being. And that means you can be of better service to others,
In March 2020, Amanda Kloots and her husband, Nick Cordero, moved from Manhattan to Los Angeles with their infant son.
It was a big move for them: Amanda was a celebrity fitness trainer, actor and Broadway dancer, and Nick, a Tony Award-nominated Broadway star, was going to pursue a career in the music industry.
When Nick complained of being tired, they both thought it was the move.
A little more than three months later Nick died of extreme COVID-19 complications: 95 of those days on a ventilator in the ICU, 42 were in a medically induced coma. At age 41, he’d been young, healthy, had no pre-existing conditions and didn’t have any of the typical Covid symptoms.
During Nick’s illness, Amanda chronicled his medical journey and her family’s emotional journey on Instagram. Friends, family and people she didn’t know rallied around them from around the globe with love and support.
She also relied on her faith: “I’m a very spiritual person,” Amanda says. “I have a very strong faith and it’s always been a part of my life. That’s where I go, when I need strength, when I need support, that is exactly where I go.”
Amanda, now a co-host of the CBS daytime talk show, “The Talk,” turned her experience into a memoir, co-written with her sister, Anna Kloots: “Live Your Life: My Story of Loving and Losing Nick Cordero.”
It’s a brave book about a devastating loss. It’s a human story that connects us all.
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Cut Your Cardio: https://carolbike.com, use code DAVE to get $100 off your order
Manage Your Blood Sugar: www.bloodsugarbreakthrough.health/dave, use code DAVE10 to get 10% off
Light Therapy: https://joovv.com/dave, use code DAVE
7TH ANNUAL BIOHACKING CONFERENCE: SEPTEMBER 17-19, 2021
Dave Asprey and Upgrade Labs host a transformative 3-day event featuring thought-provoking keynotes and fully immersive experiences that push the limits of human advancement, performance and longevity. You will connect with the world’s most innovative minds in the field of human optimization and biohacking. Join the community, at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, Florida. https://www.biohackingconference.com
DAVE ASPREY BOX
This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/
UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: “Live Your Life: My Story of Loving and Losing Nick Cordero”
- Nick got COVID but you didn’t know it. Let’s go through a little bit of that just to catch everyone up. – 2:16
- I started writing for two reasons. One of the reasons was I had a deadline. I had to start. Two, I had all this information in my head, so many numbers and machines and names and hospital rooms and dates and times and I wanted to start writing that stuff down. – 4:33
- The fact that you’re willing to share publicly your thought process and what you went through, it’s incredibly beneficial the way you’re sharing it. – 7:08
- My dad looked at me and he said, “Every day your miracle is being answered, Nick is still here, he’s still alive, and you get to go see him every single day. Your miracle is being answered every day.” – 9:20
- If you’ve been through trauma, you gain a whole new group of trauma friends that either you sort of knew but they step up right to that plate. – 13:20
- Music has always just been a fuel for my fire, I would say, but, for me, it’s like a release. Music, it can help you calm down, it can get you fired up, it can put you at peace, it can release the stress and anxiety. – 14:54
- What made you decide to go out and start a t-shirt company? What was the inspiration? – 19:36
- It was really hard to be looked at like a sad puppy. It’s something that happens with grief too. – 24:44
- I was intrigued you talk about 40 days being a very famous biblical number. That shows up all over the place. Tell me a little bit more about your interpretation of that 40 days. – 27:16
- Nick passed away, somebody gave me a book and I didn’t read anything but the first chapter but the first chapter was all about asking for signs. They’re there. You just have to ask the universe for them. – 28:57
- Absolutely still cry, I still miss, I still feel … I mean, I think what happens is that you grow around it. You learn how to deal with that hole in your stomach or that … A lot of people say that rock in your pocket. You just learn how to grow around it and grow bigger from it. It doesn’t go away, though. There’s no time that that still isn’t there. – 32:51
- If you could tell people on this show one thing to take away from the book, like the biggest thing, what would you tell them it is? – 34:58
- Broadway is going to come back, these theaters are going to come back with bigger and better jazz hands than you could ever imagine because it’s just innate in our blood to want to get back and create and perform. – 38:24
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.