In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is Dr. Dale Bredesen is a globally renowned expert in neurodegenerative diseases. His work has been inspired by the notion that Alzheimer’s as it is currently known is “not just preventable, but reversible.”
He’s currently the Chief Science Officer (CSO) of Apollo Health and a professor at UCLA. Dr. Bredesen was on the show on episode #522 where we talked about his New York Times bestseller” “The End of Alzheimer’s.”
He’s back on the show with a detailed program that he uses with his own patients. This program can be tailored to anyone’s needs and will enhance cognitive ability at any age.
What we call Alzheimer’s disease is actually a protective response to a wide variety of insults to the brain: inflammation, insulin resistance, toxins, infections, and inadequate levels of nutrients, hormones, and growth factors.
“I really believe that this field [neurodegenerative diseases] has more misunderstandings, misconceptions, and misperceptions, and myths than just about any other field, and people are dying,” Dr. Bredesen says. “These are not just white lies. These are things that people are dying for, and so let’s quit thinking that the brain is functioning as a linear system here, and let’s look at what actually makes a difference for people’s cognition.”
Dr. Bredesen’s “The End of Alzheimer’s Program” goes deeper into the science of reversing Alzheimer’s disease, with new research and a more programmatic approach that answers questions readers had after reading “The End of Alzheimer’s.” It lays out the tests, treatments and lifestyle musts you can do right now.
You’ll take a dive into Ketoflex 12/3; get advice to prevent and reverse cognitive decline that is tailored to specific symptoms; learn more information about lifestyle influences; and examine the risks and solutions for toxic exposure.
In this conversation, Dr. Bredesen also recommends starting with the big three: a series of blood tests, a cognitive assessment, and an MRI with volumetrics. Listen on for more resources on how to keep your brain at peak functioning.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts
Follow Along with the Transcript
Books: The End of Alzheimer’s: The Bredesen Protocol and The End of Alzheimer’s Program
Bulletproof Radio: The Quest To End Alzheimer’s: Dale Bredesen #522
- You don’t have to get Alzheimer’s. You can reverse it. You can prevent it. You can be smarter now. – 1:09
- One of the most common misperceptions in the entire field is that this system works as a linear system, which is absurd. – 6:34
- 45 million of the currently living Americans will die of Alzheimer’s. That’s 100 times as many as will die of COVID-19 in the worst projections. So this is 100 times the pandemic. – 10:15
- ReCODE app, It can follow your nocturnal oxygenation, and follow your ketone levels, and all these critical things. – 12:34
- Three things you’re going to stop doing and three things you’re going to do. – 20:58
- Your diet is lectins, and oxalates on those plant… I think a lot of people are messed up by plants, but doesn’t mean all plants are bad for you.23:55
- There’s three camps that I’ve run into around stem cells. – 31:42
- When you’ve got something that is actually helping people and you refuse to use it, is that not the definition? Isn’t that negligent? – 35:59
- How do people recover best if they don’t want to get Alzheimer’s? – 40:54
- It comes back to the fact that so many of us are living a very suboptimal physiological life, and that’s the issue. – 44:02
- You can certainly do it younger, but for sure, if you’re 45 or older, please get a cognoscopy. You can do this at mycognoscopy.com or any of the trained physicians. – 47:13
- HOMA-IR. This is insulin resistance. It’s probably the best measure of insulin resistance. – 47:55
- Women get two-thirds of cases of Alzheimer’s disease. What’s different in your new book specifically for women, or do we know what to do that’s different for women? – 50:47
- Women typically have relative progesterone deficiency and relative estrogen excess, and start going through perimenopause and menopause. What is progesterone critical for? Detoxification among other things. – 55:03
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.