In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I’m excited to welcome Matthew Modine. You may know him best from his acting roles in television, film and theater. He’s also an accomplished film producer, film director and screenwriter. His career has spanned nearly four decades, and he’s won numerous industry nominations and awards.
What you may not know are the many ways in which he’s a tireless activist and environmentalist. During this wide-ranging, thought-provoking interview, our conversation touches on the moon landing, bottled water, paper straws, recycling, spirituality, reincarnation, changes in Hollywood, and much more. I learned a lot, and I hope you will, too.
We talk about consciousness and how we can raise both our own and the collective to upgrade ourselves, our workplaces, our communities, and our planet. Here are some highlights in Matthew’s own words:
- Responsibility: “I don’t know if I was conscious of it at the time, but I knew that there was a great metaphor in what my father had told me, is that when there’s a mess we all have a responsibility to do something to clean it up,”
- Connection: “I think that spirituality is a kind of connectedness to all of the life that exists on the planet.”
- Ocean Plastic: “The greater problem is the decomposing of those plastics. It doesn’t disappear, it just becomes smaller and smaller and becomes what we call microplastics.”
- Life: “You’re a part of this great cycle of life, you know? You’re not bigger or more important than it. You’re maybe a keystone character in it, an important part of the chain, but you’re not bigger and more important than the least of us.”
- Shared Humanity: “It is through the singing of songs and the telling of stories that we evolve culturally, that we learn to understand other people’s points of view.”
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Upgrading Our Collective Consciousness – Matthew Modine #620
- You can get angry or clean it up 00:05:00
- Sitting at my great-grandmother’s knee during the moon landing 00:18:20
- How Matthew got rid of straws at the Bulletproof coffee shop 00:20:50
- The garment industry is the second biggest polluter in the world 00:28:50
- If everyone donated money instead of purchasing filtered water 00:33:35
- Matthew’s movie nudity rider story 00:54:00 *trigger warning*
- When I accepted the inevitability of my death… 01:09:10
- 7-4-7 breathing technique 01:11:45
- Sing songs and tell stories 01:19:50
- Bigger Ideas:
- Does earth have a consciousness? 00:07:40
- How do you define with is and isn’t spiritual? 00:09:45
- Knowing an animal had a good life and d good death 00:13:00
- Matthew and plastics 00:17:25
- Plastics ceramics and concrete in 1 million years 00:20:20
- Plastics mimic estrogen 00:23:25
- Problems with recycling in the USA 00:27:15
- The best thing to drink out of 00:30:20
- Hollywood is changing 00:40:30
- How Matthew got ready to play Birdie 00:44:30
- Can you believe in genetics and reincarnation? 00:46:30
- What is free will? 00:49:15
- Sexual harassment in Hollywood 00:52:55
- Can men and women age equally 01:06:00
Go check out “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.