In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is someone who considers himself to be an unshakable optimist.
“Optimism is not the denial of the current state,” says Simon Sinek. “Optimism is the belief the future is bright and so, to be optimistic is the same as saying, Look, we’re in a dark tunnel. It’s hard and I don’t know how long this tunnel is, I don’t know how long we’re going to be in this tunnel, but I see a light at the end and I know we’re going to get there and we just have to keep marching forwards together and we may even be stronger when we come out of it.”
Simon has set his sights on advancing a vision of the world that does not yet exist… A world in which the vast majority of people wake up every single morning inspired, feel safe wherever they are, and end the day fulfilled by the work that they do.
He started with why and then asked people to find their why. He believes leaders need to eat last and together is better. And now, he’s looking at the finite and infinite games being played out in all areas of life.
“One of the aspects of a finite mindset versus an infinite mindset is a finite mindset clearly wants to win, says Simon. “Except what happens if the game has no finish line and if you play to win in a game that has no finish line, you destroy trust, cooperation and innovation? One of the characteristics of a finite mindset is they are afraid of surprises and afraid of uncertainty.”
And that can be a detriment. Especially now. Where you just can’t do what you used to do in the same way.
“Crisis is the great revealer, right?” he says. “In an instant [during the world-wide pandemic], we discovered which companies had strong cultures and which company had weak cultures.”
“Somebody asked me recently, how has leadership changed during these times?” says Simon. “And the answer is, it hasn’t. This is an amazing opportunity. All the tenets of good leadership are more important now than ever. So, think of others and look after others, especially the people you know. Take care of yourself and take care of each other is really what it’s all about.”
“That’s called good leadership,” he continues. “We don’t need a global pandemic for you to do that. You should be doing that all the time.”
Simon also gives one of the Top 10 pieces of advice from experts in more than 700 episodes of this show. You’ll have to listen on to find out what it is. You’re going to get a lot out of today’s episode, as Simon talks to us about how to build better leaders, teams and companies in times of great change.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
SPECIAL EVENT! Join the Virtual Biohacking Conference Oct. 10, 2020. You’ll get “Expert Biohacking Tips and Tools For When the Fit Hits the Shan!” This interactive one-day conference is full of keynote speakers, panels, interviews, breakout sessions, unique networking opportunities and speaker meetups, a community workshop and even prizes. Get your ticket and all the details at biohackingconference.com.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Podcast: A Bit of Optimism
- If the world doesn’t seem as bright as it did a year ago.” What do you say to counter that or do you even counter that? – 1:43
- Optimism or pessimisms are both forms of self-deception– 2:56
- How do you tell someone to reinvent themselves? – 8:58
- The finite infinite mindset as Dr. James Carse explains. – 11:19
- A pizza oven can burn much hotter than a regular oven, so what can you do with a really hot burning oven? – 16:25
- This is why we have teams, because no one can do everything. – 17:49
- There’s no hunger. Small companies have a vision that is bigger than the resources they have to accomplish it. – 26:21
- “Wouldn’t it be funny if we started an air bed and breakfast?” Airbnb.- 27:28
- Authenticity means I say and do the things I actually believe. – 30:06
- Trust is built between the meetings. – 37:50
- And remember, leadership doesn’t come with rank. – 42:16
- I have found that there’s three ways that I learned the best and the first one is teaching. – 45:01
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.