A Crash Course in How to Build Radical Confidence
Whip-smart lessons in how you can conquer the negative voice in your head and be the hero of your own life.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
…you’ll learn that to be a high performer, you’ve got to have radical confidence to achieve whatever goals you set for yourself. Today’s guest, Lisa Bilyeu, explains how real confidence is an inside job, not something you gain from outside validation.
When Lisa co-founded Quest Nutrition, she was a self-professed housewife boxing protein bars in her living room. The company grew 57,000 percent in its first three years and became a billion-dollar brand. Her learning curve was steep and fast and filled with things she didn’t know how to do—yet.
She went on to co-found (with her husband, Tom Bilyeu) and serve as president of Impact Theory Studios. It’s a digital-first studio that produces entertaining original content focusing on themes of empowerment. That content has been viewed over half a billion times by a global audience.
Lisa oversees in-house development of projects focused on female-driven content for multiple platforms. She hosts the digital series, “Women of Impact.”
In her first book, “Radical Confidence: 10 No BS Lessons on Becoming the Hero of Your Own Life,” she shares her journey from a housewife to successful entrepreneur with relatable lessons, anecdotes, and lots of humor.
“With radical confidence you can go balls to the wall and risk falling on your face. And you can do it knowing that even if you do break a cheek- bone, you can Get. Back. Up.”
She explains how the “Purgatory of the Mundane” is even more dangerous than hitting rock bottom. She dishes tough love for those of you who are stuck in mind loops that hold you back.
From ditching the fairy tale to getting off the couch to putting on goggles when the shit hits the fan, Lisa’s got realistic tips to get you moving. An important part of that momentum is setting boundaries: material, physical, and mental and emotional. She shows you exactly how.
She also suggests a fresh perspective on a few things that can help you build “radical” confidence:
- Manage the voice in your head
- Set clear boundaries
- Learn from your mistakes
- Keep your goals top of mind
- Maintain self-awareness around your emotions and triggers
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
SOCIAL: Follow @thehumanupgradepodcast on Instagram and Facebook.
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
https://timelinenutrition.com/DAVE, use the code ASPREY10 to get 10% off any plan
Mattress Temperature Tech:
https://www.eightsleep.com/dave, use code DAVE to save $250 on the Pod Pro
Book: “Radical Confidence: 10 No BS Lessons on Becoming the Hero of Your Own Life”
Women of Impact: impacttheory.com/women-of-impact/
- A lot of times, people say, “I’m confident,” but you’re actually putting on a false bravado. – 00:44
- We started with Impact Theory, but the bigger goal is to create entertaining content that is so fun to watch and happens to be good for you. – 4:58
- You describe yourself as a housewife-turned-entrepreneur. Were you really a housewife? – 9:05
- I just convinced myself I’m doing it for the greater good. Come on, you can do it. Suck it up. – 11:40
- We were shipping out over $80 million of product, and I had 40 employees underneath me. All of that was because I just kept figuring it out. – 18:11
- Courage is being scared and doing it anyway. How do you differentiate Radical Confidence, your new book? How’s that different from, back against the wall, I didn’t have a choice. – 22:17
- Music to me is so powerful. I have what I call my hype song. I have it on easy access so I can play it at any point. – 27:15
- You’ve got a playful element you have some real specific tools in your book, too. You’re talking about the no-BS game. Tell me about that. – 29:10
- You did the choice, but it took you eight years to get there. When someone reads your book, how long is it going to take him to get there? – 33:46
- When someone says to me, “Lisa, I want confidence,” I say, “You want confidence to do what? What’s that goal?” – 38:55
- This is my evolution. The book really does say these are all the stages that I had to go through from being very, very stuck for eight years, not thinking that I deserve to go for my dreams to where I am today. – 46:37
- The voice in my head kept saying like, “You’re no good in front of the camera. You’re going to embarrass yourself. You’re no good in front of the camera.” – 49:53
- Have you noticed the voice in your head changed as you put the practices in your book in place? – 53:35