How’s work working for you?
Maybe your normal sources of inspiration have run dry. Maybe you keep getting stuck on the same series of tasks you can’t quite figure out how to do. Or maybe, you feel like no one’s telling you the truth about how you work.
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, three experts give you real-time tips on how to level up your career.
The truths they share are designed to stimulate many aspects of your career. Steven Herz, Jeffrey Madoff and Kevin Harrington have helped people find not onlysuccess, but also passion and creativity in their work.
If you like this special episode with Steve, Jeff and Kevin, dive deeper into their expertise by listening to the full Bulletproof Radio podcasts:
- “So often in life, you think you’re hearing yes, and then six months later, you’re on the wrong end of a downsizing or a reorg and you’re out of a job, or someone else gets a promotion,” says Steve Herz.” Well, if you were so great and everything was so yes, yes, yes, why aren’t you where you want to be in life?”
- Steve is a career advisor who leads a large sports and entertainment talent and marketing firm, and helps athletes, CEOs, lawyers, entrepreneurs and young professionals move forward in their careers.
- He sees criticism as a gift and guides you through how you can use that feedback, coupled with authority, warmth and energy (AWE) to get exceptional results.
- “If you can’t listen to the guy next to you who may just know that one little thing that’s going to make that program better, even though you’re contributing 90% of the value of this idea, but it’s not going to work without that tail wagging the dog, so to speak, then you’re not that valuable to the team. That’s the idea is, “Can you listen to other people? Can you make room in the relationship?” because you might be the greatest coder, but if you can’t do those other things, you’re not of great value.”
- Check out his book: “Don’t Take Yes for an Answer: Using Authority, Warmth, and Energy to Get Exceptional Results.”
- “Every entrepreneur that starts a business is creating something out of nothing, that’s creativity,” says Jeff Madoff. “I define creativity as the compelling need to bring about change.”
- Jeff began his career as a fashion designer and was chosen one of the top 10 designers in the U.S. He then switched careers to be a director, photographer and writer. He founded Madoff Productions, a film production company that creates award-winning branded content including commercials, web content, music videos, and documentaries.
- In our conversation, we cover the three stages of creativity, including inspiration, growth and stagnation, and how you can get started and keep the cycle going, despite stagnation. We also get into how to tell the story of yourself and your company, and how can you get people excited about it by using both familiarity and evolution in your narrative.
- Check out his book: “Creative Careers: Making a Living with Your Ideas,”
- “One of the challenges entrepreneurs have is they’re afraid to do it,” says Kevin Harrington. “They don’t know what to say or where to go. Sometimes you just have to raise your hand and just go for it. Absolutely.”
- Kevin’s first mentor was his dad, who at age 11 taught him a lot of what he knows about the business world. We talk about how you can find a mentor and how it can accelerate your career. It can help you fill in the gaps of the knowledge and skill sets you don’t have, all from a person who is thrilled to share knowledge.
- Kevin’s the original “shark” on the hit TV show Shark Tank, the creator of the infomercial, pioneer of the “As Seen on TV brand,” and co-founding board member of the Entrepreneur’s Organization. His work behind the scenes of business ventures has produced more than $5 billion in global sales, the launch of more than 500 products, and the making of dozens of millionaires.
- Check out his book: “Mentor to Millions: Secrets of Success in Business, Relationships, and Beyond.”
Enjoy! And get more career resources below.
Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form.
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Discover Kratom: Go to GetSuperLeaf.com/DAVE for 20% off your entire order
Cardiovascular Conditioning: https://www.zona.com, use code DAVE2021 to save $150
Track Your Health: https://info.insidetracker.com/dave, save 25%
7TH ANNUAL BIOHACKING CONFERENCE: SEPTEMBER 17-19, 2021
Dave Asprey and Upgrade Labs host a transformative 3-day event featuring thought-provoking keynotes and fully immersive experiences that push the limits of human advancement, performance and longevity. You will connect with the world’s most innovative minds in the field of human optimization and biohacking. Join the community, at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, Florida. https://www.biohackingconference.com
DAVE ASPREY BOX
This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/
UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: Don’t Take Yes for an Answer: Using Authority, Warmth, and Energy to Get Exceptional Results
Book: Creative Careers: Making a Living with Your Ideas
Book: Mentor to Millions: Secrets of Success in Business, Relationships, and Beyond
Dave Asprey Blog
- The Science of Motivation: How to Get and Stay Motivated
- Three Things it Takes to Be a Genius and How to Hack Them
- Your course is called Creativity: Making a Living with Your Ideas. So it’s very actionable, – 1:26
- Two questions that come before that, and I actually start my class every semester with that. One is, what is creativity? How do you define it? – 1:51
- I’ve had a lot of mentors in my life, and I say my first mentor, I got when I was 11 years old. – 1:51
- I believe that a lot of people unwittingly over the last 20, 30, 40 years have been put or put themselves into an echo chamber of yes. There is three factors for that reason. – 5:15
- So often in life, you think you’re hearing yes, and then six months later, you’re on the wrong end of a downsizing or a reorg and you’re out of a job, or someone else gets a promotion. – 6:49
- “Well, what’s the difference between you and the person who’s got something on the wall? They did it.” So a lot of people don’t start. – 10:06
- How do you go out and find a mentor? – 11:00
- We’re really evaluating people on how they make us feel based on their expression, their communication of their qualities. – 14:10
- How do you teach creatives to tell their story until they want to puke because it seems like that’s what it takes? – 20:32
- You always use your own creativity to nuance it differently and to realize that’s what helped you get to where you are. – 22:27
- This metric of AWE, A-W-E, like you say, it doesn’t show up in Wharton. It doesn’t show up in college. It doesn’t show up in law school. Nowhere. It shows up one time. It shows up in kindergarten. – 25:07
- I get a charge out of helping people and seeing their success, and I think that’s ultimately what many mentors are looking to see. – 28:13
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.