2020 has given many people time to think and reassess their personal and professional lives. Some are considering or have been forced to make career changes.
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest gives readers a candid behind-the-scenes look at what it’s really like to build a creative career.
Jeff Madoff says making a living with your ideas is a marathon not a sprint. In his brand new book, “Creative Careers: Making a Living with Your Ideas,” he draws on his own decades of experience and also the experience of more than 40 leading entrepreneurs, artists, and business leaders to give you an accessible path that will lead to success in whatever new career field you choose.
“Every entrepreneur that starts a business is creating something out of nothing, that’s creativity,” Jeff says. “I define creativity as the compelling need to bring about change.”
Jeff Madoff began his career as a fashion designer and was chosen one of the top 10 designers in the U.S. He then switched careers to be a director, photographer and writer.
He founded Madoff Productions, a film production company that creates award-winning branded content including commercials, web content, music videos, and documentaries. His articles have appeared online in the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Newsweek, Huffington Post and other major publications. He’s since expanded his career to include teaching, book and playwriting, and theatrical producing.
“Don’t say no to yourself,” Jeff says. “Don’t disqualify yourself by thinking you’re not good enough, your idea doesn’t have enough value, all those kinds of things. And then you don’t do anything. Because a sure way to make sure nothing happens is to do nothing. So, there’s a risk involved in even starting. And a lot of people are afraid to make that leap because of doubt. And they’re afraid of taking that risk and not succeeding.”
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
SPECIAL EVENT! Join the Virtual Biohacking Conference Oct. 10, 2020. You’ll get “Expert Biohacking Tips and Tools For When the Fit Hits the Shan!” This interactive one-day conference is full of keynote speakers, panels, interviews, breakout sessions, unique networking opportunities and speaker meetups, a community workshop and even prizes. Get your ticket and all the details at biohackingconference.com.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Turn Your Creative Idea into a Successful CTurn-Your-Creative-Idea-into-a-Successful-Career-–-Jeff-Madoff-with-Dave-Asprey-–-744
- Teaching is not only incredibly important, it’s incredibly enriching. – 3:17
- How do you tell people this is how to make money from being creative. – 4:19
- Did you have to define creativity for them or did they all have their own definitions that were different? – 6:49
- Where do people get stuck the most when they’re just getting started? – 8:21
- Don’t say no to yourself. Don’t disqualify yourself by thinking you’re not good enough. – 10:20
- Having a mission is great, a sense of mission because you always have to remind yourself, I think, why am I doing this? – 17:05
- What are the materials? What’s the labor? How long is it going to take to do it? And is there a market for it because here’s how much it’s going to have to cost in order to do it. That’s what I mean by the protocols being the same. – 31:58
- How do you teach creatives to tell their own story in a way that resonates with people who want to consume whatever they create? – 33:23
- How do you teach creatives to tell their story until they want to puke? Because it seems like that’s what it takes. – 38:08
- It’s not about the money, it’s about making something that needs to exist. And the money is a side effect. – 42:10
- So you’ve got to go at risk, you’ve got to do things. And it’s fine to have doubt, most of us do. It’s fine to take a risk because if you don’t take a risk, you’re never going to do anything interesting. – 46:44
- Times like this, this is a historic time we’re living at. And you can take advantage of that to do something amazing but you have to believe in yourself and you have to apply the effort. – 53:34
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.Turn-Your-Creative-Idea-into-a-Successful-Career-–-Jeff-Madoff-with-Dave-Asprey-–-744