Welcome to Your Upgraded Summer!
This new series revisits the Top 10 Bulletproof Radio episodes of all time. The topics cover essentials like nutrition, energy, hormones, sleep and autophagy, as well as gut, brain, autoimmune and women’s health.
You’ll get the main points in a shortened version so you can get the good stuff and get on with your summer plans. And if you want to listen to more, tune in to the original episode.
Naomi Whittel takes the No. 8 spot with: Glow From The Inside Out: Autophagy and Women – Naomi Whittel #477
Autophagy is your body’s natural process of removing and recycling cellular waste, but without that process, the waste grows. You want autophagy, which literally means “self-eat,” to be working at maximum capacity.
We have the power to activate this process in each of our cells. In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, you’ll learn simple ways to boost your body’s autophagy. That’s a good thing because autophagy can turn the clock back and create younger cells.
Naomi Whittel is recognized as an innovator in the health and wellness industry, and an advocate for clean and safe nutrition. After navigating her own journey of autoimmune disorders, Naomi Whittel set about searching for ways to activate autophagy that anyone could do. “My whole objective is to provide the simple and easy solutions to really activating the youth inside of our cell,” she says.
Things like processed foods and environmental toxins, decrease your autophagy.
Good sleep, regular sex, intermittent fasting, and 30 minutes of resistance training every other day, activate your autophagy.
- Naomi On Fat: It’s fat first and fat most because that’s activating the autophagy. With fat and how it’s so different than protein, which we all know protein can turn into a carb, it can become a sugar. My body does so much better when I am able to burn fat as my fuel instead of sugar as my fuel.
- Naomi On Intermittent Fasting: I look at where the outside meets the inside, so I’m thinking about my skin all the time from the inside out. Things like fasting, intermittent fasting is done every other day, and intermittent fasting coupled with protein cycling.”
- Naomi on Surprising Results: We did an eight-week clinical study with tons of women. What happened was after 15 days, the lead researcher called me up and said, “You’re never going to believe that every single woman in this study has achieved benefits in two weeks of the program.” And that’s why we called it Glow15.
- Naomi on Health Success: I’ve dropped 10 pounds by activating my autophagy, by eating more fat than I could ever imagine, never counting a calorie, being satiated, having that mental focus and dealing with chronic, chronic stress. I believe it’s really through fat first, carbs last, intermittent fasting, protein cycling, these kinds of principles.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form.
CHECK OUT OUR EPISODE PARTNER!
Trigger Autophagy: https://spermidinelife.us/dave, use code DAVE25 for 25% off your first month’s order
7TH ANNUAL BIOHACKING CONFERENCE: SEPTEMBER 17-19, 2021
DAVE ASPREY BOX
UPGRADE YOURSELF WITH Dave Asprey
Follow Along with the Transcript
AUTOPHAGY- Set Your Cells in Motion- A Top 10 Episode with Naomi Whittel
Dave Asprey Blog:
- Trigger Autophagy Without Fasting – Dr. Elizabeth Yurth Talks Spermidine with Dave Asprey – #773
- Flip the Switch Up or Down on Autophagy – James Clement – #664
- Keto, Fiber and Strong Women – Naomi Whittel – #671
- Fasting in a Pill: How Spermidine Helps you Age Backwards
- 9 Intermittent Fasting Podcasts That Will Help You Get Started
- What got you started? I want to hear how you got to be in the supplements business. – 1:06
- Everything starts with soil and it’s just offensive some of the things that companies will do, and it’s hidden three layers underneath things, and just building clean products is really hard. – 4:10
- Glow 15 was a book that I started to write about three and a half years ago, and what got me inspired to write this book was a trip that I took to Calabria, Italy. – 5:56
- She gave me three or four cups of the spicy citrus, bergamot tea. I asked her, “Why do you drink so much of this tea? She said to me was, “It activates my autophagy.” -6:24
- What do you do on the outside to activate autophagy in your skin? – 8:19
- Different polyphenols like EGCG is one, but resveratrol has been shown to do great things with the skin. – 9:52
- When you can take the toxic fat, the toxic buildup that’s in our bodies and you can push it out by activating the autophagy through exercise, through food, through nutrition, whatever it may be, through sleep, through sex. Sex is a great way to activate autophagy. – 13:19
- The lead researcher called me up, she was like, “Naomi, you’re never going to believe that every single woman in this study has achieved benefits in two weeks of the program,” and that’s why we called it Glow 15. – 15:55
- In the book you talk about one of my favorite guys, Dr. Michael Bruce, with chronotypes. Just walk me through what a chronotype is and then tell me what yours is. – 16:30
- I speak to my girlfriends that are female CEOs and executives, and it’s a challenge. So my whole objective is to provide the simple and easy solutions to really activating the youth inside of our cell. – 18:39
- What’s your experience been like learning how to be a very successful CEO and an entrepreneur, and to allow yourself to be supported while you do that? What’s your practice for that? – 20:45
- What’s your experience been like learning how to be a very successful CEO and an entrepreneur, and to allow yourself to be supported while you do that? What’s your practice for that? – 23:15
- But to be able to turn that on its head and say, “I’m obsessed with good fat.” Embrace it, use it every single day, fat first and fat most. It will satiate. You’ll lose weight. You’ll feel better. You’ll totally change your relationship to food. – 27:18
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.