In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I’m excited to bring back a guest who regularly appears on Bulletproof Radio because of his functional medicine expertise and his contributions to the health of people around the world. He’s always innovating and pushing boundaries of what’s possible for human wellness.
Dr. Mark Hyman is a practicing family physician and an internationally recognized leader, speaker, and educator. He’s also a 12-time New York Times best-selling author. But it’s his brand-new book, “Food Fix: How to Save Our Health, Our Economy, Our Communities, and Our Planet—One Bite at a Time” that he says is the most important one he’s ever written.
“Wait a minute,” Dr. Hyman says. “If food is not only making people sick, it’s also destroying our environment. It’s causing climate change. It’s causing social injustice. It’s threatening our kids’ academic performance in school, their future productivity and success, our global competitiveness, and our national security because kids are too fat or unfit to fight, leading to poverty, mental illness, violence.”
As you listen, you’ll find out why Dr. Hyman is:
- invested in the health and economic impact of our food system;
- working to save our food environment; and
- taking on the many inequalities and injustices of our modern food industry.
Enjoy the show! … And then head to DaveAsprey.com to get even more cool stuff.
Follow Along with the Transcript
The Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast
The Doctor’s Farmacy #7 with Dave Asprey
Bulletproof Radio Episodes with Dr. Mark Hyman: What The Heck Should I Cook, Dr. Hyman? #637, Why Disrupting Big Food Matters #533, Meat is the New Ketchup #288, The Dangers of Fructose #144
- How do we hack the food system that is hacking us? – 04:43
- Why do we have the food we do? 05:41
- Benefits of fixing the food system 07:01
- Dave asks if there is a demand problem or a supply problem 0:930
- How do creators of food solve the problem of food costs? 14:50
- Are we going to go back to distributed food production? 17:15
- Composting the right way 21:00
- How do small farmers handle the incredibly high regulatory burden in order to sell their food? 23:35
- Obesity is a chronic disease epidemic 26:35
- Regenerative farming 32:20
- What can we personally do to help fix the food problem? 39:18
- Ending food marketing is a really powerful intervention 45:22
- Truth in marketing 46:00
- We can fix this 49:55
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.