In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, you’ll find out why “We are at a turning point in the fight against disease.” Those words begin Dr. William Li’s new book, “EAT TO BEAT DISEASE: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself.”
Dr. Li is an experienced internal medicine physician and a research scientist, specifically a vascular biologist. He’s been conducting angiogenesis research and clinical analysis—angiogenesis is the development of new blood vessels—for more than two decades and is considered to be one of the world’s leading experts in the field.
He’s also known for providing various food remedies for the prevention and treatment of advanced medical conditions like cancer, diabetes, blindness, and heart disease. And he’s most interested in the common denominators of disease—what unites and connects diseases across body systems and across human populations.
Today’s conversation focuses on the importance of taking a systems-based approach to health and the prevention, treatment, and reversal of disease. “That’s where the tipping point comes,” says Dr. Li, “because when we think that we can prevent the disease or reverse the disease, we’re suddenly in a completely different place than healthcare has been for 150 years.”
Dr. Li gives practical examples of how foods used as medicine can boost the body’s five main defense systems: angiogenesis, regeneration, microbiome, DNA, and the immune system. “Our health is not simply the absence of disease,” he says. “Our health is the result of our hardwired defense systems that protect us from the day we’re born until our very last breath. And guess what? Food can actually activate those health defenses.”
Want to know how to downturn chronic inflammation or right-size your microbiome? Then this is the episode for you!
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: “Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How the Body Can Heal Itself”
TED Talk: “Can We Eat to Starve Cancer?”
Vatican’s Unite to Cure conference 2018: Utilizing Diet to Mobilize Our Defenses Against Disease and the Environment
- Our health is not simply the absence of disease 00:004:45
- Life and our bodies are not simple 00:09:30
- We were all made out of stem cells 00:37:25
- Cigarette or French fry? 00:56:55
- Bigger Ideas:
- The world is designed to harm the body 00:05:10
- Why we are at a turning point in health 00:11:20
- The problem of medical waste 00:16:40
- Dr. Li’s 5 defence systems 00:16:15
- What is angiogenesis? 00:19:00
- Using energy for healing 00:25:00
- The Catch-22 of angiogenesis 00:30:05
- Is nicotine good? 00:32:45
- What is regeneration? 00:35:40
- Improving stem cells with chocolate 00:42:20
- Improving stem cells with hypoxia 00:45:55
- The role of innate immunity 00:52:45
- The power of the microbiome 01:06:05
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.