In recognition of Earth Day, this incredible episode replay with Dr. Mark Hyman gets into the dark realities of the global food system and the policies that make it possible. He says his 2020 book, “Food Fix: How to Save Our Health, Our Economy, Our Communities, and Our Planet—One Bite at a Time” is the most important one he’s ever written.
“Our food system end to end is the No. 1 cause of climate change, which is a big shock for me when I started writing this book,” Dr. Hyman says. “I was like, “Oh, yeah, greenhouse gases, cow farts, cow burps, methane,” and all that. I got that 14%, whatever the estimate is, but when you add it all up, the deforestation, the soil erosion, the factory farming, the processing, distributing, transport, refrigeration, food waste. You add it all up, it’s almost 50% of our climate change contribution, more than oil. We need to think about multiple types of solutions.”
A frequent – and popular – guest on Bulletproof Radio, Dr. Hyman always innovates and pushes boundaries of what’s possible for human wellness. He’s a practicing family physician and an internationally recognized leader, speaker, and educator in the field of Functional Medicine. He’s also a New York Times best-selling author more than a dozen times over.
In “Food Fix,” you’ll learn why it’s critical to become aware of the health and economic impact of our food system and take action. Dr. Hyman offers ways to take on the many inequalities and injustices of our modern food industry and solutions to save our food environment. It’s going to take everyone getting involved to make radical change happen – from small farms to food policies.
“I’m building a whole Food Fix campaign to drive policy change,” Dr. Hyman says. “If we keep the status quo in policy, it’s going to be very difficult.”
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Discover Kratom: Go to GetSuperLeaf.com/DAVE for 20% off your entire order.
Nicotine Gum: https://lucy.co, use code DAVE20 to get 20% off all products
Cooler Sleep: https://www.chilitechnology.com/ASPREY for special discounts
VIRTUAL BIOHACKING CONFERENCE MAY 8, 2021
Recharge Your Cells & Upgrade Your Life at this one-day event! Register at https://www.biohackingconference.com
DAVE ASPREY BOX
- This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/; NEW subscribers use code VBC21 to get $10 off.
- The Limited Edition Dave Asprey Upgraded Box is worth more than three times its price! Got to https://upgrade.biohackingconference.com to purchase and use code BOXPLUS to get a free ticket to the Virtual Biohacking Conference.
UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
Follow Along with the Transcript
The Doctor’s Farmacy podcast:https://drhyman.com/podcast/
- Truce: Paleo/Keto & Vegan Find Common Ground – Dr. Mark Hyman – #795
- Food Fight! Fixes for Better Health and a Sustainable World – Dr. Mark Hyman – #672
- What the Heck Should I Cook, Dr. Hyman? – #637
- Why Disrupting Big Food Matters: Mark Hyman #533
- Mark Hyman – Meat Is The New Ketchup: #288
- Mark Hyman: The Dangers of Fructose – #144
In This Episode
- How do we hack the food system that is hacking us?
- Why do we have the food we do?
- Benefits of fixing the food system
- Dave asks if there is a demand problem or a supply problem
- How do creators of food solve the problem of food costs?
- Are we going to go back to distributed food production?
- Composting the right way
- How do small farmers handle the incredibly high regulatory burden in order to sell their food?
- Obesity is a chronic disease epidemic
- Regenerative farming
- What can we personally do to help fix the food problem?
- Ending food marketing is a really powerful intervention
- Truth in marketing
- We can fix this
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.