A Guide to Strengthening & Healing Your Adrenals
Izabella Wentz, PharmD.
Actionable tips on testing, nutrition, and lifestyle changes you can do to achieve peak adrenal function.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
Get actionable expert tips on testing, nutrition, and lifestyle changes you can do to achieve peak adrenal function. Izabella Wentz, PharmD., aka the “Thyroid Pharmacist,” takes on adrenal fatigue, its symptoms, and the importance of fixing adrenal function in addition to treating thyroid issues in her new book, “Adrenal Transformation Protocol: A 4-Week Plan to Release Stress Symptoms and Go from Surviving to Thriving.”
After being diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis nearly 15 years ago, Izabella, a thyroid specialist and licensed pharmacist, focused her career on getting to the root causes of autoimmune thyroid disease She wrote three books about it, including a New York Times bestseller. She’s got such valuable information to share, she’s returning for the sixth time to the show.
Now, she’s tackling adrenals. She went deep into the research to develop an actionable guide for you. Her new book helps you identify and mitigate the effects of adrenal dysfunction.
- If you’re experiencing low energy, insomnia, brain fog, anxiety or burnout, your adrenals may be overworked.
- You’ll learn why adrenal, immune, and thyroid issues develop as an adaptive mechanism to protect you in times of danger.
- You’ll also learn how to manage four big stressors that influence your adrenals in a negative way.
- You’ll find out what lifestyle and mindset changes you can make that turn off danger signals and communicate safety messages to your body.
She sits down with Dave in Austin to talk about her personal experience with chronic fatigue and how proper thyroid treatment helped her find relief. She addresses the misconception that those with Hashimoto’s should avoid coffee, emphasizing the importance of choosing clean, mold-free coffee.
“So, if the coffee is moldy, then that’s going to be an issue for you because mold can be a really powerful trigger for chronic fatigue syndrome from autoimmunity, Hashimoto’s, adrenal dysfunction,” she says.
Her protocol emphasizes providing the body with more safety signals to counteract the stress response. She recommends dietary changes, anabolic-focused exercises, and supplements such as carnitine. She also explains the role of adrenal dysfunction in allergies and histamine issues, the dangers of B6 supplements, and the importance of balancing sodium and potassium intake for adrenal health. She suggests Epsom salt baths, a cold bedroom, and paying attention to factors such as H. Pylori, malabsorption, and the CBS gene mutation to address ammonia levels in the body.
If you suspect your adrenals are on the fritz, Izabella stresses the importance of a varied and holistic approach to treatment. She urges proper testing and diagnosis of adrenal dysfunction and thyroid issues to build resilience in your body.
Watch this episode on YouTube!
“Many people with autoimmunity or health challenges get this message, "but you don't look sick" and people think that you're just lazy.”
Izabella Wentz, PharmD.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
Feel Dangerously Good! Discover the energy, focus and performance that come from mineralized coffee designed with your biology in mind. Your cells will thank you. dangercoffee.com, use code DAVE15 to save 15%
- Adrenal dysfunction is common in people with autoimmune conditions, chronic fatigue syndrome, and Hashimoto’s, and can cause symptoms such as fatigue, anxiety, and depression.
- The Adrenal Transformation Protocol is a four-week plan for balancing danger signals with safety signals to help the body shift out of survival mode.
- Increasing protein intake and reducing cardio in favor of de-stressing exercises like yoga are recommended on the protocol.
- Red meat is a good source of protein and carnitine, which can help reduce brain fog and fatigue, and supplements may also be used.
- Addressing adrenal dysfunction and histamine issues can involve increasing protein and fat intake, and avoiding high-histamine foods if there is an underlying gut issue.
- A balance of electrolytes is important, but the amount of potassium needed can vary from person to person.
- Healing adrenal dysfunction takes time and can involve lifestyle changes and hormone supplements, which can have side effects.
- Gradually weaning off coffee is recommended for those with adrenal dysfunction, rather than quitting coffee altogether.
- Lifestyle tools such as spending time in bright light in the morning and having a wind-down routine in the evening can support circadian rhythm and improve sleep quality.
- The Adrenal Transformation Protocol book is perfect for those experiencing adrenal fatigue.