In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I’m hosting a return guest because he’s doing some truly innovative work in the area of human health span and lifespan.
James Clement is a lawyer and entrepreneur turned research scientist who has devoted the last two decades to understanding the science of life extension.
His new book, “The Switch: Ignite Your Metabolism with Intermittent Fasting, Protein Cycling, and Keto,” is the result of years of scientific investigation that started with a curiosity of the human body’s mTOR/autophagy switch. Autophagy is a natural process that recycles and renews damaged cell parts and removes pathogens to keep us healthy. Like a dimmer “switch,” mTOR can turn autophagy up or down. A switch, James says, that’s at the center of nearly every anti-aging drug, nutraceutical, diet, and health choice that we make.
“The purpose of the book is really to go into this molecular biology mechanism inside the cell, which is about as basic as you can get,” James says. “If you’re not working these mechanisms properly, then it doesn’t matter what your good intentions are, or the practices that you think you’re following.”
In our interview James gives practical tips on how we can activate autophagy through different regimens, such as calorie restriction, intermittent fasting, very-low-carb diets, exercise, or supplements. When it’s switched up, autophagy restores our natural metabolism, slows the aging process, and helps fend off diseases from diabetes, to cancer, to heart disease.
James also is known for his Supercentenarian Research Study, which he started in 2010 and received international attention. Through worldwide scientific collaborations and in his own laboratory, his work focuses on advancing biomedical discoveries.
Enjoy the show!
Photo by David Steele
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: The Switch: Ignite Your Metabolism with Intermittent Fasting, Protein Cycling, and Keto
Bulletproof Radio: Not-So-Science Fiction: Extending Your Health Span Gets Real – James Clement #608
- Defining intermittent fasting and the benefits 0:5:10
- What is the urgency to start? 0:6:55
- Autophagy and why we should care about it 0:9:15
- Are there benefits to taking BAA supplements 19:15
- Benefits of Keto cycling 22:30
- Dave asks how to track your information 23:40
- Can you eat Birthday cake and beer? 26:30
- Understanding the mTOR switch 27:40
- The role of soluble fibre in your diet 30:00
- The problems with veganism 32:40
- Feast and famine as a beneficial cycle 41:00
- 3 types of cycling explained 43:40
- Why not stay in autophagy all the time? 45:10
- It matters what is in the protein not just where the protein comes from 48:50
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.