When Jamie Wheal comes on Bulletproof Radio we always dig into mind-bending topics. This time, our conversation spans a special four-part mini-series to discuss his new book: “Recapture the Rapture: Rethinking God, Sex and Death in a World That’s Lost its Mind.”
In this Part 2 episode, we talk about how you can biohack sex and the impacts of a post-orgasmic state.
Jamie studies neuroanthropology, which brings together culture, biology, and psychology. He’s the founder of the international Flow Genome Project, an organization that helps people reach their peak human performance. He’s currently focusing on Hedonic Engineering, a combination of neuroscience and optimal psychology. His book looks at the world’s collapse of meaning, the embracing of nihilism, and how you can shift your stories to tackle the world by connecting to others and revitalizing yourself.
In Part 1, The Neuroscience of Sex – Jamie Wheal, Part 1 with Dave Asprey – #845, you learn about Jamie’s research on sex and the power sex has to improve our lives.
Now, we get into “taking the kink out of kinky,” and suggest ways you can engage with your partner (or partners) that maximize pleasure. Things like timed breathwork, music with a strong beat, and other techniques load up your nervous system and create a balance in your body, leading to great sex.
“We’re reclaiming the full spectrum of human physiology and psychology,” he says, “because no man is an island. No woman is either. Our sociology is about us doing all these things together.”
Our conversation includes the powerful states women can access during sex. Specifically, an incredible post-orgasmic state that can offer major healing.
“Once again, really much more accessible, cheap, free, like this is everybody, all you got to do is just shut your front door and schedule a playdate with a friend with benefits,” Jamie says. “And you can have access to the things that are getting touted in the new cycles, kind of incessantly over the last three years as these miracle cures and breakthroughs of psychedelic therapies.”
He says that PornHub as a baseline for sexuality and inspiration isn’t a great idea, yet Americans struggle to rethink approaches to sex in broader terms and prioritize sexual well-being and connection.
“We’ve got such deep conflicted, puritanical coding overlaid with hypersexuality and commodification that it can be really difficult,” Jamie says.
Touching on a range of topics, we’ll also talk about the power of the feminine, the Council of Grandmothers, cults (and how to spot them) and authoritarianism.
Be sure to follow the conversation in Part 3 when Jamie and I talk more about death and God. And, of course, a lot more.
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Infrared Benefits: https://www.sunlighten.com/DAVE. Call the number on the website and mention “Dave Asprey” to get $200 off a cabin sauna, $100 off a Solo system, and free shipping
Control Blood Glucose: https://pendulumlife.com, sign up for membership to get monthly supply delivery, use code DAVE20 to save $20 on your first shipment
Modern Nirvana Conference: https://www.modernnirvana.com/conference
7TH ANNUAL BIOHACKING CONFERENCE: SEPTEMBER 17-19, 2021
Dave Asprey and Upgrade Labs host a transformative 3-day event featuring thought-provoking keynotes and fully immersive experiences that push the limits of human advancement, performance and longevity. You will connect with the world’s most innovative minds in the field of human optimization and biohacking. Join the community, at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, Florida. https://www.biohackingconference.com
DAVE ASPREY BOX
This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/
UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: “Recapture the Rapture: Rethinking God, Sex, and Death in a World That’s Lost Its Mind”
- For people who don’t know that that’s not a kind of swimsuit. Tell me about Dakinis. – 1:44
- My sense is history seems to happen orthogonally. Whatever you’re trying to have happen, never happens the way you’re trying to have it happen, and then you give up. But then some weird little like bank shot off the corner happens. And you’re like, “Oh my gosh, that worked.” – 5:48
- You talk about how the study that you did delivered proof that women are smarter and possibly more enlightened than men. – 8:51
- I always think of like, what are men good for? Which is, we’re we’re really good at fighting stuff, fucking stuff and building stuff. But when to fight, and who to fuck, and what to build, we’re terrible at. So, we can freely do with a little womanly wisdom. – 11:16
- So it’s not about the sex and it’s not about the drugs. Everybody wants to make it about those things, but it’s actually about what are the mechanisms of action. These are just keys that fit in locks. – 15:24
- Delta waves are sort of the redheaded stepchild of EEG research. I mean, Ura and other things, and Matt Walker and others are really now… In the last 24 months, it’s been coming more and more as a sleep hygiene element, but not waking. – 20:02
- Vice just published, right? The missing page from that crazy document from the ’80s with the Holosync folks. – 20:45
- In the book you say, if you’re open-minded and sincere in your pursuit of the most effective protocols for healing humans, you end up in one of two places. Sexy biohacking or nerdy kink. – 24:00
- If you learn to play that system like a loving and compassionate instrument, you can basically load up a bunch of neurological stimulation. Release it and timed with the breath work, with the gas assistance, static apnea, with oxytocin and ketamine, with driving sonic music, – 25:33
- Just give me enough to get into a super saturated state of vasopressin, prolactin, serotonin, oxytocin, where I feel safe, secure, and enough”. And I can revisit my memories and then I can sort of take them off the shelf, because memories are plastic. – 28:46
- Just give me enough to get into a super saturated state of vasopressin, prolactin, serotonin, oxytocin, where I feel safe, secure, and enough”. And I can revisit my memories and then I can sort of take them off the shelf, because memories are plastic. – 31:28
- All we’re doing is just we’re reclaiming the full spectrum of human physiology and psychology. Because no man is an island. No woman is either, and our sociology, us doing all these things together. – 33:10
- Three dead giveaways to spot a leader using cult programming to build fans and get rich. – 33:38
- From your book, what psychological trait neo-Nazis in social justice warriors have in common and why we should be afraid. – 37:39
- There’s a line in there that I’ve always remembered where he says, “The best lack all conviction, while the worst are filled with passionate intensity”. And you’re just like, “Oh, shit, that’s kind of where we are right now”. Especially amplified by Twitter and social media and all these things. – 39:06
- We end up huddling next to people that may not be fully trustworthy and may not… They may be actually on a power trip, like a quite literal power trip versus leading the way to a future that works for all of us. – 40:40
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.