Upgrade Spotlight: How a Peptide Gets Under Your Skin to Combat Aging
Carolina Reis Oliveira, Ph.D. / OneSkin
The OS-01 peptide suppresses a key aging gene, reduces skin’s zombie cells and inflammation, and activates hyaluronic acid, elastin and collagen.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
…you’re listening to a new Upgrade Spotlight series based on what you told me you wanted to hear on this podcast. On one Friday each month, these shorter episodes will feature guests who’ll get right into useful information in a Q&A style.
You’ll find out how to improve your energy and upgrade your performance. You’ll also get the latest knowledge about powerful tools and technologies that allow you to change your biology and the environment around you.
Introducing OneSkin! During this Upgrade Spotlight, you’ll learn about new products designed to target skin aging at the molecular level and promote skin and body health. You’ll also find out the science behind OneSkin’s formulas and why they are considered “daily topical supplements.” They can help you maintain functional and resilient skin as you age.
OneSkin topical supplements are powered by a proprietary peptide, OS-01, which decreases the accumulation of aged/senescent (zombie) cells in the skin. By targeting the major driver of skin aging, OS-01 has been scientifically proven to:
- Repair cellular damage, including UV damage
- Increase epidermal thickness
- Improve barrier function
- Increase the activity of genes associated with collagen, hyaluronic acid and elastin production
- Reverse the biological age of skin
“We decided to develop a screening platform to test over 1,000 different peptides until we found the one that has the highest or the greatest ability to decrease the accumulation of senescent cells. That's how we got to this peptide that we call OS-01.”
Carolina Reis Oliveira, Ph.D., Co-Founder of OneSkin
“So this peptide has a very interesting profile because it’s small enough to penetrate and it’s super safe,” explains Carolina Reis Oliveira, Ph.D., scientist, CEO and co-founder of OneSkin. “There is no toxicity, no irritation. We’ve done all the recommended studies by FDA for personal care products, and, has this beautiful effect of reducing the accumulation of senescent cells, and also reduces the release of inflammatory markers, and increase the production of hyaluronic acid, elastin and collagen. So, in the end, there’s a molecule that has all these attributes that’s very important for healthy skin, overall.”
Another exciting part of this peptide work includes MolClock, the first skin-specific molecular clock, capable of reliably and accurately determining the biological age of skin. This was created by OneSkin’s team of female PhD-level longevity scientists as part of its research and development platform.
Carolina relocated from Latin America to Silicon Valley in 2016 to co-found OneSkin and lead the development of the company’s disruptive skin rejuvenation technologies. She holds a Ph.D. in Immunology, along with degrees in biochemistry, stem cell biology and tissue engineering.
Her team of co-founders includes three other female scientists with additional expertise in skin regeneration, bioinformatics, genomics, immunology and molecular biology. Among them, they’ve invented numerous patents and have published nearly 100 peer-reviewed papers in scientific journals.
This episode explores exciting new information about improving skin health at the molecular level for the long-term. When you do that, your body will be more equipped to defend itself from environmental stressors and aggressors, especially with age.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR LISTENERS OF THE HUMAN UPGRADE: Go to https://www.oneskin.co and use code DAVE15 to get 15% off your first-time purchase.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
SOCIAL: Follow @thehumanupgradepodcast on Instagram and Facebook.
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
(coffee + minerals) – toxins = power:
Discover the energy and high performance that come from Danger Coffee, designed with your biology in mind. https://dangercoffee.com
8th Annual Biohacking Conference: Come join like-minded people September 15, 16 & 17 in Beverly Hills, Calif., for three days of awesome!
You’ll learn from dozens of experts at an amazing event that’s designed to upgrade every area of your life.
- When we started OneSkin, initially, we decided to test if anti-aging products available in the market were really promoting any rejuvenation effect. – 3:23
- We came up with this angle of trying to understand if aging… Let’s say that skin aging is a disease. What’s causing that disease? – 7:10
- Our peptide, it’s small enough. It’s made of ten amino acids to be able to penetrate into the skin without a more sophisticated delivery system or a more, I would say, invasive procedure. – 10:16
- We found four hits, or that means four peptides that worked the best. Then we created variations of these sequences, and we generated another 800 peptides. – 14:40
- Wow. So you developed a new molecular clock that’s quantifiable. That is real science. – 18:30
- The OS-01 one peptide, how quickly do you see reverses in biological aging themselves? – 19:30
- The way that the peptide works is also preventing, because once we have senescent cells, the most detrimental part is the secretion that those senescent cells release. – 23:11
- There’s a lot of companies who put hormone disruptors and things like that? What’s your take on it? What did you do to meet them or do you think they’re real? – 26:06