Upgrade Spotlight: Improve Your Sleep With a Cooler Body Temp
Tara Youngblood / ChiliSleep
Solve common sleep problems and increase performance by regulating your body temperature with cooling bed tech.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
…you’re listening to a new Upgrade Spotlight series based on what you told me you wanted to hear on this podcast. On one Friday each month, these shorter episodes will feature guests who’ll get right into useful information in a Q&A style.
You’ll find out how to improve your energy and upgrade your performance. You’ll also get the latest knowledge about powerful tools and technologies that allow you to change your biology and the environment around you.
Introducing ChiliSleep! During this Upgrade Spotlight, you’re going to learn about the physical and mental health benefits of cool sleep and how to hack your sleep with new bed technology.
You already know about the physical and psychological effects of not getting good sleep. Whether you’re dangerously sleep-deprived or can’t stop waking up in the middle of the night, struggling to get enough sleep over time can have devastating impacts on your body and mind.
Poor sleep increases a person’s risk of developing serious medical conditions, and not getting enough deep sleep increases the chance of high blood pressure; heart attack and stroke; Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease; and Type 2 Diabetes.
“Our core body temperature changes with our circadian rhythm. Our body wants those triggers of temperature. And when we unlock that, we can unlock different sleep states.”
Tara Youngblood founded ChiliSleep so people could get the coolest sleep ever. Water-based cooling helps your body settle into a just-right temperature that’s just right for you.
Your core body temperature should naturally drop every night, but for lots of people for lots of reasons it doesn’t. Here are a few of the good things that happen when you regulate your sleep temperature:
- Cooler temperatures cue your brain to release melatonin and help you fall asleep faster.
- Sleeping at colder temperatures improves deep sleep and increases muscle recovery.
- Muscle repair and growth occur during deep sleep and REM sleep stages due to the natural release of growth hormones.
Tara creates technologies and apps to help you recover your sleep and your energy. She’s a trained scientist with degrees in Science and Physics who also studied traditional Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic practices, neuroscience, and psychology.
She focuses on how your physical body can get better sleep and the important essential link between sleep and mental health.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR THE HUMAN UPGRADE LISTENERS! Check out the Dock Pro Sleep System at https://www.chilisleep.com/discount/HUMANUPGRADE20. Use codeHUMANUPGRADE20 to save 20%.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
SOCIAL: Follow @thehumanupgradepodcast on Instagram and Facebook.
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
(coffee + minerals) – toxins = power:
Discover the energy and high performance that come from Danger Coffee, designed with your biology in mind. https://dangercoffee.com
8th Annual Biohacking Conference: Come join like-minded people September 15, 16 & 17 in Beverly Hills, Calif., for three days of awesome!
You’ll learn from dozens of experts at an amazing event that’s designed to upgrade every area of your life.
- Sleep is amazing. There’s nothing better than that feeling when you wake up and feel refreshed. And sleep, I think, is the ultimate retirement package. – 1:02
- Our body wants those triggers of temperature. And when we unlock that, we can unlock different sleep states. – 2:55
- I never thought of using ChiliSleep as a money saver for electrical bills, but it’s way cheaper to do that than run an air conditioner to chill air. – 5:44
How do you really know what the right temperature for you to sleep at is? – 8:17
- If we want to get cold cold, when we sleep back to that deep sleep, in order to extend that deep sleep time, especially for our athletes, it’s about slower brainwaves. – 10:50
- One of the problems that I’ve faced in the past is noise but the new Dock Pro is 30% quieter than before. – 12:02
- If you’re that NFL lineman and laying on your side at 350 pounds is a lot of pressure in the spot, but it’s actually a really cool flow pattern that makes sure there’s always water flowing in and around you. – 14:17
- We talked about that sleep switch, turning off sleep by heating up is the best way to get a little bit of a cortisol buzz in the morning. So what releases melatonin at night will release cortisol in the morning if you warm up from sleeping. – 16:17
- When you’re on the road and you’re not sure of all the other things, that consistent temperature for them is one of those triggers that, again, breaks the jet lag, resets you. Temperature is a resetter for your circadian rhythm. – 20:35
- Is there any kind of mattress that you shouldn’t put the Chili Pod Pro system on? – 26:43