Sauna Big Wins: Body Detox & Depression Relief
Connie Zack / Sunlighten
Understanding how the light, heat and sweat combo of infrared sauna upgrades your body, brain and cellular energy.
Sunlighten sponsored this episode.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
… you’ll learn about the ways using a sauna can charge your energy, help you heal physical and mental health conditions—and science that backs that up.
Connie Zack joins the show to talk about the far-reaching benefits of sauna use and what’s new in the field of infrared light. For more than 22 years, Connie and her husband, Aaron, have introduced infrared light therapy to 13 countries through Sunlighten. They’re leading innovations in infrared light therapy and infrared sauna manufacturing.
This conversation covers a range of good things you’ll experience from using a sauna:
- how infrared light affects the body and triggers a biochemical cascade of benefits;
- how near infrared penetrates the body to interact with mitochondria;
- why the real magic of infrared combines both light and heat;
- what evidence connects infrared and detoxification—and why sweating wins;
- why you sleep better—without feeling exhausted—when you do a sauna session before bed;
- how infrared shows promising relief for those who experience depression; and
- practical ways to incorporate sauna into your own stack for better sleep and higher performance.
“it’s either social time, or it’s biohacking time, or it’s meditation time,” Dave says. “You can also do breath work when you’re in it. I just feel like it’s the most effective use of time to get all these benefits. You want to be able to selectively and carefully mix the three types of infrared so that you get the effect you’re looking for.”
Big takeaways for you:
- Sauna for Detox: Results from a blood-urine-sweat study support infrared for detoxification, and it’s more than just thermoregulation as traditional medicine often argues.
- Sauna for Depression: Chronic inflammation is associated with depression and may be a protective, inflammatory response involving thermoregulatory pathways, the immune system, serotonin system, heat shock proteins and more. Studies show that raising core body temperature can improve major symptoms of depression.
“With infrared, you don't feel exhausted. You don't feel drained. You actually feel more energetic and more restored.”
Connie Zack, Co-Founder / Sunlighten
Connie’s been on the show before, so check out Saunas Use Infrared to Power Detox, Immunity & Renewal – #823 to find out how infrared sauna helps you with immunity and recovery.
More about Sunlighten: The Sunlighten sauna company was founded because (co-founder) Connie’s Zack’s brother healed his debilitating chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia by infrared use. In addition to the personal saunas, Sunlighten operates an award-winning day spa at its Kansas City headquarters. Sunlighten has been featured on major television network programs and news media outlets, including The Doctors, Goop, Sports Illustrated, Forbes, Town & Country and The New York Times.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR THE HUMAN UPGRADE LISTENERS: Go to https://www.sunlighten.com/dave to save up to $600 on your sauna purchase.
Watch this episode on YouTube!
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
SOCIAL: Follow @thehumanupgradepodcast on Instagram and Facebook.
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
Brain Training with Sound & Vibration:
Change unwanted behaviors, reduce negative self-talk, and enhance motivation and performance. Go to www.braintap.com/dave to get 30% off
A Cleaner Nicotine Alternative:
https://lucy.co, use code DAVE20 for 20% off your first order of pouches, gums or lozenges
Mattress Temperature Tech:
https://www.eightsleep.com/dave, use code dave to save $250 on the Pod Pro
Watch this episode on YouTube!
Previously on Bulletproof Radio: Saunas Use Infrared to Power Detox, Immunity & Renewal – Connie Zack with Dave Asprey – #823
- Coming Soon!