To Bulletproof Radio listeners: The audio on this particular episode is not our usual quality due to technical difficulties on an international connection. We ask for your understanding, as we didn’t want to delay bringing this awesome guest to you.
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is Wim Hof, aka, “The Iceman.” Wim holds multiple world records for his feats of endurance and exposure to cold.
He’s based in the Netherlands and has taught breathing techniques all over the world. His methods can change your body chemistry, infuse you with energy, and focus your mind.
“The breath is a door,” Wim says. “Without the breath, what is there? It’s where you and I and everyone else began. It’s where all life begins.”
He’s taken his techniques and distilled them into a new book: “The Wim Hof Method: Activate Your Full Human Potential.”
Over a decade and in eight university research studies, his methods have proven that the autonomous nervous system, as related to the innate immune response, can be willfully influenced. This is something that was previously unknown to science
In these studies, he has also proven that he can directly:
• influence his autonomic nervous system,
• measurably reduce inflammation,
• regulate his internal PH levels and body temperature,
• activate his immune system to resist the effects of poisonous endotoxins, and
• activated regions in the brain responsible for pain suppression.
Although Wim is best known for his seeming ability to go beyond human limits, his basic method is accessible to anyone: 20 minutes of breathing practice, a cold shower at the end of your warm one, and the persistence to stick with it.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: The Wim Hof Method: Activate Your Full Human Potential”
Bulletproof Radio: Climb Everest In a T-shirt & Shorts. Survive Submersion In Freezing Water For Hours. Wim Hof Tells You How He Did It! – #403
- When I was 12, I was always driven by a deeper urge, deeper drive within. – 2:51
- How much of what you do, do you think is breathe versus cold versus mindset? – 8:36
- These breathing techniques within 10 minutes bring people in deeper areas of the brain. – 10:13
- What do you miss if you say, “I’m just going to do the breathing, I’m not going to do as much of the meditation? – 15:00
- If you have connection with the cannabinoids and with the opioids, you know how to battle that stress any time and it has no negative effects. -18:40
- If you have connection with the cannabinoids and with the opioids, you know how to battle that stress any time and it has no negative effects. – 23:20
- Why did you have someone writing about telomere and the length of telomeres write the foreword from your book. – 24:57
- Step one, take a cold shower. How do you take a cold shower properly?– 33;33
- We have an ability to control our physiology and biochemistry through breathing, conscious breathing exercising. – 35:35
- It not only works in the mitochondria but also in the DNA, in the telomeres, in the protective proteins, in the transcription factors, in the gene expressions. – 44:25
- We told these people there in Africa we were going to climb Kilimanjaro in three days. – 48:34
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.