Imagine building something like a cell phone, a car, or a house and then imagine that thing went on to reproduce itself. Well, that is what Andrew Hessel, the guest on this episode of Bulletproof Radio, and the people at the human Genome Project-Write intend to do. Starting by helping people better understand and use living systems to meet the needs of society.
Andrew Hessel is the CEO of Humane Genomics Inc., a seed-stage company developing virus-based therapies for cancer, starting with dogs. He is also a co-founder of the Genome Project-write, the international scientific effort working to engineer large genomes, including the human genome.
Andrew does things that sound like science fiction and even the way he describes himself, as a synthetic biologist, contains a set of words that did not exist until very recently. In the interview, we get into what exactly that is, what can be done through DNA splicing, and why they use viruses to get the job done.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Andrew Hessel: Hacking Cancer Viruses & Rewriting Your Genome #526
- What is a “Synthetic Biologist?” 00:03:15
- What life would you create 50 years from now? 00:06:00
- Life is truly everywhere 00:08:30
- Nature is the most secure technology there is 00:11:10
- DNA testing is something we are all now comfortable with 00:15:40
- The current state of biologic CAD 00:19:20
- Humanity needs to start thinking collectively about biology and agriculture 00:22:20
- If it’s the “dog or mouse genome project” most people won’t pay attention 00:29:00
- Will we be able to change aspects of ourselves through DNA splicing? 00:33:35
- One of the viruses that I love 00:35:10
- Would you use this if you had cancer? 00:50:00
Go check out “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and leave a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star, positive review.