charity: water founder, Scott Harrison, discovered his philanthropic calling in an unexpected way: as a nightclub promoter in New York City. In this episode of Bulletproof Radio with Dave Asprey, you’ll hear how Harrison ditched his life of drugs and addiction in New York, and found himself on a hospital ship off the coast of Liberia, eventually landing on Fortune Magazine’s 40 under 40 list and Fast Company’s 100 Most Creative People in Business Issue. Find out how he got there, and how he’s reinventing charity, and working to solve the global water crisis one donation at a time.
Enjoy the show!
Watch A Preview
Follow Along with the Transcript!
Links/Resources for Scott Harrison:
- Visit Scott Harrison’s Website, charitywater.org
- Cool Fact Of The Day: If you are a daydreamer, it probably means you are smart! People with efficient brains have too much capacity to keep their minds from wandering…
- Hear about how daydreaming is a “good Deal”
- Bulletproof ice cream recipe: and how it is an aphrodisiac!
- Today’s Guest: Scott Harrison, CEO and Founder of Charity Water.
- What made Scott choose to do a charity around water. Instead of night clubs and drugs.
- How chasing the things that thought Scott made him happy made him realize “there would never be enough.”
- What would it look like to lead a life of integrity or of generosity or compassion?
- Scott asked himself “what would the opposite of my life look like.”
- Scott thought, he has selfishly lived ten years, “What if I give one of the ten back?”
- How getting denied from “the big” humanitarian organizations inspired Scott and landed him in Liberia.
- Leveraging his email list to do good.
- Mercy Ships
- Scott watched humans drink from swamps during his two years with Mercy Ships, “water that I wouldn’t give my dog.”
- He realized a large percentage of the country of Africa is drinking contaminated water, the source of some of this disease.
- How he shed the old life in order to go into the new one, and never touched his old vices again.
- Dave and Scott talk about boredom and how it fuels addiction.
- How to get people to care about charity, let alone the global water crisis.
- What would the perfect charity look like? How would the money flow? How to inspire people to give.
- How Google Earth and Google Maps helped the public see where their dollars were going.
- Building a beautiful brand. Avoiding shame and guilt.
- Winning back a disenchanted public’s trust.
- Putting the oxygen mask on first: why taking care of the things at home first is important.
- Travel, how it resets you and it changes you forever.
- The burden of clean water falls on the women and children. 40-Billion hours.
- Clean water can give time back to a woman and health back to a child.
- How water restores dignity.
- The Spring
- The three most important things you can do to perform as a human being.
- Dave mentions the new Bulletproof Labs location in Santa Monica, CA
- If you like today’s episode, check us out on iTunes at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star, positive review