In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I’m welcoming back Wade Lightheart and Matt Gallant. They are the “we fix digestion” guys who co-founded BiOptimizers.
Wade is a former three-time Canadian natural bodybuilding champion. Matt is an experienced strength and conditioning coach for professional athletes, a self-defense instructor, and has been formulating supplements for more than a decade.
Last summer, we discussed enzymes and digestive health. You’ll definitely want to catch episode #515—How to BiOptimize Your Gut & Digestion. And today, we’re going to talk more about the power of enzymes and their role in a ketogenic diet.
“Well, the thing with enzymes,” Matt says, “is if you take them on an empty stomach, they become metabolic. If you take them with food, they’re digestive. … When we’re eating, the food needs to be broken down either into glycogen, amino acids, or fatty acids. That’s what we need, and that’s what our bodies run on. And if we can’t do that, then we can have health issues.”
So, take a listen as the conversation touches on how essential enzymes are to your microbiome. We talk bile, poop, stomach acid, glucose absorption, fat cells and inflammation. Activated charcoal, probiotics and carbs get a mention, too.
I’m convinced that enzymes matter for making you who you are.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
- The enzyme bank account 00:13:30
- What we need when we eat keto 00:21:30
- How much deep sleep do you need/get on Keto 00:31:30
- By looking at Viome results, you can make the perfectly digestible meal 00:38:55
- Reframe it as a re-feed day, not a cheat day 00:50:10
- The golden age of probiotics 01:02:00
- Bigger Ideas:
- The basic usage of enzymes 00:12:25
- How the body deals with enzymes 00:16:15
- How enzymes help your brain 00:19:45
- How Enzymes work at different PH levels 00:24:00
- The different types of DHEA 00:27:30
- How nutrigenomics is the key to optimizing your diet 00:35:20
- Magnesium loading protocol 00:43:40
- The gene for fasting 00:46:00
- Wade’s “high satiety diet” 00:48:10
- Another way to use Probiotics (rectally) 00:58:00
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.