IN THIS EPISODE OF BULLETPROOF RADIO…
We’re going deep on all things nootropics. Stacks, timing and what works for your brain. You’re going to learn a lot in this episode, like:
- The promise of nootropics vs. the reality of nootropics
- Problems with typical nootropics
- How brain chemistry and nervous systems are incredibly unique
- How every high-performance state has a corresponding neurochemistry stack
- Nine Nootopia base blends that have specific goals and purposes
- Why Nootopia nootropics are different
- Tips to get the most out of your nootropics
One of today’s guests has been on the show several times to talk about psychobiotics, magnesium, enzymes and blood sugar.
As co-founder of BiOptimizers, Matt Gallant keeps researching and innovating ways to keep your whole body healthy. He sees important connections within body systems and finds unique ways to maximum human performance. He especially likes the brain and will be talking about new developments in nootropics that can be customized to your own body system.
Matt Gallant: “A lot of nootropics rely on brute force,” Matt says. “They hammer one receptor or one pathway and they just push it to the max which has negative consequences, receptors downregulate, you can have more side effects. As a former addict, I thought, and I was hardwired to believe that more is better. And now I know better and optimal is better. So, it’s about really finding the optimal dose for each person. And that’s why we’re all about customization and personalization.”
He’s joined by Mr. Noots, his partner in custom nootropic development.
Between ages 5 and 10, he built radio, conducted dangerous chemistry experiments and built a Helium-Neon Laser from scratch. His favorite childhood activities were science, chemistry and physics. He spent his 20’s in the US Air Force, which was the perfect platform to become an endurance athlete and eventual bodybuilder. Life happened and as Mr. Noots moved from sick to superhuman, he dove deep into performance-enhancing nutrition. That, in turn, led him to become a Chief Product Officer for the mind-enhancing compounds and stacks of nootropics at Nootopia.
“This is one of the things where I want everyone listening to just say, “Okay, I admit to myself that it is possible for plant extracts or other compounds to improve cognitive function because it’s abundantly obvious,” “says Mr. Noots.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts. Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR BULLETPROOF RADIO LISTENERS
Go to https://nootopia.com/dave and use code DAVE10 to get 10% off
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Measure Brain Function: Learn more and get a special discounted package at https://wavimed.com/, use code DAVE
Minerals for Cellular Health: https://www.beamminerals.com, use code DAVE to get 20% off
Control Blood Glucose: https://pendulumlife.com, sign up for membership to get monthly supply delivery, use code DAVE20 to save $20 on your first shipment
UPGRADE YOURSELF WITH DAVE ASPREY
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
DAVE ASPREY BOX
This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/
Follow Along with the Transcript
Hack Your Neurochemistry with Customized Nootropics – Mr. Noots & Matt Gallant – #861
Braverman Test: https://www.bravermantest.com
- A New Way to Control Your Blood Sugar – BiOptimizers with Dave Asprey – #807
- Psychobiotics: Altering Gut Bacteria to Hack Your Brain – BiOptimizers with Dave Asprey – #749
- Magnesium: The Master Mineral That Conquers Stress – BiOptimizers – #669
- Every Little Enzyme Does Its Magic – Bioptimizers #611
- How to Bioptimize Your Gut & Digestion – #515
- All right, Mr. Noots, what is your true identity? Unveil yourself. – 8:39
- For me, it was quite a journey. But I don’t know if we’re going to get back to that later. But I first started to do it as a way to get off coffee back in the ’90s. – 11:40
- Huperzia serrata, right, it’s an extract and it increases choline flow, right? It also reduces cholinesterase enzyme so that the choline keeps flowing through the synapse. – 13:27
- As a former addict, I thought, and I was hardwired to believe that more is better. And now I know better and optimal is better. – 15:20
- We found that there were interesting ways that during the extraction process of herbs and the conversion process of pyroglutamic acid, you could get them to weave each other together and create these bonds that would go in various directions. – 19:24
- When your body doesn’t have a load, if it doesn’t have an oxidant load, an oxidation load, if the adaptogens are effectively reducing stress levels, stress hormones, inflammatory conditions, then the nootropic works significantly better. – 23:18
- If you get energy in the morning, maybe you don’t need nootropics at that time, and just tend to crash out in the afternoon. Well, around 12:00, 12:30 or 1:00 p.m., take your nootropics and you’re going to be rocking all afternoon. – 25:13
- How do you know, though, how to customize the stack? I mean, yeah, the surveys are good, but how much science is between the survey, and the tech? – 28:27
- It really depends what am I trying to achieve? And what state do I need to be in in order to maximize my performance in that moment. – 30:38
- Anandamide actually comes from tobacco. Is that in there? – 33:06
- I was working on stacks and then I met Mark and I had the feeling, okay, here’s a guy that I’ll never catch up to. – 38:49
- There’s methyl B-12, right, so methylcobalamin, just much more available and a couple other compounds that really helped that process. – 42:01
- The big epiphany was, “Hold it, if I change the amount of the choline donor, the nootropic, the antioxidant, right, the adaptogen. I change the ratios of those and maybe even add some elements like a pro hormone like a DHEA or pregnenolone or something like that, maybe I could get a different performance profile. – 47:08
- I wanted something that was a parasympathetic brain enhancer, which meant that it’s going to operate when you’re chill, right, or it’s going to operate and bring you to a chill state. – 50:13
- A lot of people don’t know what serotonin syndrome is. And if you’re using psychedelics, you might want to know about this, so just go off on that for a little bit. – 53:42
- So tell me why you guys are like fruit versus just give me a scoop of glucose? – 58:31
- We’ve talked about Brain Flow, the different formulas. There’s nine base blends and each of these gets customized? – 1:02:32
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.