Monitoring your blood sugar is one of the most important interventions you can make for yourself in order to live long and truly feel good.
If you have diabetes, your cardiovascular disease risk, your cancer risk and your Alzheimer’s risk all go up dramatically.
So, what if we were to just put on our thinking hats as biohackers and say, “Which intervention has the highest ROI for reducing my odds of dying from everything?” Regulating your blood sugar would be very, very high on the list, probably more important than exercise, even though exercise can be a method of controlling your blood sugar and exercise and movement are important, no doubt about it. If you didn’t move around and your blood sugar was highly regulated, you’d be better off than if you had irregular blood sugar and you moved around. It’s that big of a deal.
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, Wade Lightheart and Matt Gallant are back on the show. This time, they’re letting you know how to get control of your blood sugar spikes and drops, and instead find a stable middle ground.
These two BiOptimizers cofounders have decades of combined experience in health, nutrition and exercise. They really get how the brain and body work together for maximum performance and realize so much of that has to do with our blood sugar.
“Our pancreases are both four and a half times the size per body weight of any species on the planet because we eat so much sugar,” Matt says. “That’s what involved in the regulation and distribution of insulin.”
If you don’t manage your blood sugar, there will be consequences. But when you find a way to maintain stable glucose levels, your body learns how to convert glucose into energy more effectively. This leads to better performance. Your body repairs and you have more energy for thinking and moving.
We talk about ketones, carbs and how to keep your blood sugar at a consistent level (even when you have those days where you eat a 4,000 calorie meal). You’ll also learn how you can best collect data on what works for your body and how the active ingredients work in BiOptimizer’s Blood Sugar Breakthrough supplement.
“As great as our product is and it’s really awesome, I want to also caution people,” Wade says. “You can’t supplement your way out of a bad diet, and you want to take data, and you want to correlate it with biofeedback.”
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR BULLETPROOF RADIO LISTENERS
Go to www.bloodsugarbreakthrough.health/dave. Use code DAVE10 to get 10% off.
WANT TO UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE?
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com.
DAVE ASPREY’S NEW BOOK!
“Fast This Way: Burn Fat, Heal Inflammation, and Become the High-Performing Human You Were Meant to Be”
Follow Along with the Transcript
Psychobiotics: Altering Gut Bacteria to Hack Your Brain – BiOptimizers with Dave Asprey – #749
Magnesium: The Master Mineral That Conquers Stress – BiOptimizers – #669
Every Little Enzyme Does Its Magic – BiOptimizers #611
How to Bioptimize Your Gut & Digestion – #515
- Both of you have done many, many biohacks for years, which is really cool. Strength and conditioning and high level athletics or bodybuilding. – 4:00
- Blood sugar is, obviously, a key component of the digestive process, which is why we’ve been focusing on it so much. – 4:43
- Most people think that the most anabolic hormone in the body is testosterone, but the reality is it’s actually insulin, which is a response to blood sugar. – 5:32
- Is there a role for healthy people who want to put on muscle to do, say, oh, an intermittent fast, and then work out at the end of the fast, and then have a soda, like spike your blood sugar because you want to put muscle on? – 9:49
- The management of your blood sugar can have really positive effects in the body, but more importantly, I think it can have very negative effects, and a lot of people are running into a lot of trouble with that. – 12:12
- Her blood sugar went from 240 to 120 in two hours. I’ve been using these ingredients we’re going to talk about for the last two years. – 15:14
- We have lipolytic pathways and glycolytic pathways, and those are either the whole biochemical process of, again, converting carbs into energy and using them or storing them or same thing with the fats. – 17:09
- I want to start with a few practical things to manage blood sugar that isn’t supplement-related. – 23:54
- You’re just not going to know unless you have a map of your gut bacteria – 27:22
- That week, where I was testing the various formulas, I broke 13 records in two workouts because it tells me when I do PRs, which either meant more reps, more weight. It will track any type of record. – 29:20
- AMPK is a nutrient-sensing hormone, and when we fast, for an example, when you fast, AMPK goes up, and it’s believed to be very powerful for longevity. – 30:44
- There’s some things you can take like bitter melon extract, fucoxanthin. That will improve the mitochondrial function. – 36:36
- Cinnamon is very powerful. I mean, it’s very well-known that helps with blood sugar, but it actually is a very powerful thing for your gut biome, and we’re seeing that in our lab in Bosnia. – 38:08
- One of the most interesting ones, you’re going to love this one, Dave, is the Tibetan holy fruit extract, One of the cool things about this ingredient is that it stimulates three different stem cells. – 42:26
- Our alpha-lipoic acid, which increases GLUT4 and activates AMPK. So, again, it’s hitting different insulin pathways – 44:31
- InnoSlim, which we also have in kApex also helps with AMPK and also insulin signaling, which is the PI3K pathway. Benfotiamine is another great one to increase fat and glucose metabolism in the mitochondria. – 45:04
- As biohackers, we tend to move to the maximum and pull back as you suggested, and the medical community tends to go to the minimum effective and tries to get to some what they quote unquote is normal. – 59:14
- Anybody that tries our products, too, I want to be clear, too. Go ahead and run your experiment. Send us the results. We’d love to get that feedback. – 1:08:35
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.