In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, we’re talking about hair—the thin and the thick of it. For anyone experiencing hair thinning or loss, this episode covers all the latest hair science—what works, what’s new and what you can realistically expect—for both men and women.
My guest, Alan J. Bauman, M.D., is the founder, CEO and medical director of the medical hair loss practice he started 23 years ago. He’s a board-certified hair restoration physician and hair transplant surgeon who has treated more than 30,000 patients and performed more than 9,000 hair transplant procedures. He’s one of approximately only 200 physicians worldwide to achieve certification from the American and International Board of Hair Restoration Surgery.
This episode is airing during National Hair Loss Awareness Month in August to bring you all the latest science and technologies that are available. A lot of you are dealing with this problem. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 1 in 2 men in the U.S. will experience hair loss in their lifetime and 50 million will be affected by male-pattern baldness. Woman are affected, too. 1 in 4 women suffer from hair loss and thinning hair and 30 million women are affected by hair loss.*
Dr. Bauman’s been extensively featured in media worldwide as an elite medical hair loss expert for pioneering numerous technologies in the field of hair restoration. I traveled to Bauman Medical, a “hair hospital” in Boca Raton, Florida, before the pandemic lockdowns began in the U.S. to find out more about his treatments and how they worked.
Scalp Health: Why it’s important and what it says about what’s going on in your body.
“Scalp health is a big problem,” says Dr. Bauman, “and we know now that there’s a direct link between scalp health and the inflammation (in the body) that’s going on. The hair fiber is dead but the follicle is alive, and when there’s inflammation going on in and around that area the follicle just doesn’t perform as well. So, scalp health is really important.”
Hair Loss and Hair Thinning: It’s super common for both men and women! How to get the right diagnosis, evaluation and treatment options for the hair on your head, eyebrows and even beards.
Topicals: What works and how to keep your scalp healthy along the way.
“There’s now skin microbiome – microbiome of the scalp,” says. Dr. Bauman. “It’s a new frontier of hair health that we’re just starting to learn about.”
Non-Surgical Hair Replacement Options: How lasers can optimize hair follicles.
“Low-level laser light therapy is a great technology, non-chemical, non-invasive way to impart energy to the hair follicles,” Dr. Bauman says. “We’ve progressed over 15 or 20 years from small hand-held devices, to little bands, to laser caps, and certainly now the devices are a lot more sophisticated, a lot more portable, and a lot more powerful, too.”
Hair Transplants: Debunking the myths and misconceptions, so you can find out if you’re a candidate.
Bye, bye painful “plugs.” Comfortable, sophisticated, artistically-performed procedures can be undetectably natural with minimal downtime.
Hair Regeneration: Stem cells and platelet-rich plasma are game-changers.
“We’ve leveraged platelet-rich plasma treatments, and the growth factors that they provide, for better hair regrowth,” Dr. Bauman says. Mesenchymal stem cells can be harvested and used for hair regrowth, too.
3D-Printed Hair & Scalp Prosthetics: The possibilities are life-changing for many.
“Hair restoration has changed so much just within the past five or 10 years – going from such an invasive process to something minimally invasive,” Dr. Bauman says.
Enjoy the show! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
Follow Along with the Transcript
- When hair loss occurs it looks different in men and women. 1:42
- Gray hair is probably one of things about hair that we know the least about, but it’s on everybody’s mind – 2:48
- 50, and you have less gray than I do, actually, which is cool – 4:58
- You take care of your hair you feel better. 7:22
- You’ve done crazy stuff to make your scalp healthy that would apply to men and women, I’m assuming? – 9:50
- Scalp health is so important – 11:33
- Skin microbiome, microbiome of the scalp. It’s a new frontier of hair health that we’re just starting to learn about. – 13:20
- Low-level light therapy on your head. What does that consist of? – 13:55
- Laser therapy does work well to block the effects of male pattern and female pattern hair loss – 18:23
- The transplanted hair is pre-programmed to live forever – 19:41
- Dihydrotestosterone, and that’s the trigger for the miniaturization, and the weakening of the hair follicles. – 22:52
- We’ve seen some very nice results with topical finasteride. – 24:01
- What about minoxidil? – 25:10
- What are the things that people need to take to have healthy hair? – 27:20
- One of the most exciting therapies that we have is platelet-rich plasma – 29:03
- If you want to try to avoid that more invasive procedure of stem cell then exosomes might be, might be, a nice solution for that – 33:15
- If someone said “I want a perfect head of hair, cost is no object,” what would you do? – 34:04
- We’ve got some new technology that allows us to take the follicles one at a time without trimming the hair. – 35:44
- Can you plant those hair follicles anywhere you want? – 37:45
- In 1999, we were using copper peptides to help wound healing and stimulate hair regrowth after hair transplant surgery.39:32
- We’ve developed a new technique that allows us to take the hair without trimming it. – 42:36
- Where do you see hair transplants 10 years from today. – 44:26
- What are the top three metrics you need to look at? 48:20
- We’re going to measure a few different areas with the HairCheck tool. – 51:11
- HairCam is a microscope. That’s where we take photos of the scalp under high-powered microscopy to look at the hair density and the hair caliber qualitatively. – 51:54
- I went 18 months without washing my hair. There’s lots of research that you grow a healthier biome when you do that – 59:25
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.