In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest shares her compelling story of attempting to solve the riddle of her own and her family’s complex health challenges. She, her husband and her children were all tired, cranky and sick with various illnesses and she didn’t know why. Dr. Margaret Christensen also didn’t know it at the time, but severe toxic mold exposure was the root cause of her family’s physical and mental health issues.
She became all too familiar with chronic fatigue, Fibromyalgia, autoimmune, hormonal, neurological, and psychiatric consequences of unrecognized Biotoxin illness. There have been devastating, long-lasting effects on her family.
The experience also took her in another medical career direction—from an obstetrician-gynecologist to a doctor specializing in Functional Medicine. She now researches and treats hormone disruption and neurodegenerative diseases caused by toxic mold.
Mold exposure is a multifactorial challenge, Dr. Christensen says. “The way I approach it is I’m not just dealing at the physiologic level, the physical level, of course, using binders and to pull things out and upregulating detox mechanisms with things like glutathione. I do a whole lot of work in the limbic system, because oftentimes, people who’ve had toxic mold exposure, it’s not one exposure.”
“It’s multiple and accumulated over time,” she continues, “and with a lot of antibiotics, a lot of other stressors, etc. Particularly if you’ve had ACES or adverse childhood events or major traumas in your life.”
Dr. Christensen has been a board-certified ob/gyn for 23 years. She currently runs The Carpathia Collaborative, a large multi-disciplinary, Functional Medicine Practice based in Dallas. Her clinical focus areas are mold toxicity, nutritional biochemistry and environmental toxicology.
Enjoy the show! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
* FOR BULLETPROOF RADIO LISTENERS* The free Toxic Mold Summit airs online Aug. 17-23, 2020. Register at https://toxicmoldproject.com. You’ll hear several dozen experts talk about all things related to mold in the body, brain and environment. You can also join in the free encore weekend Aug. 28-29.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Bulletprooof Sinus Rinse
- Mold is probably one of the most common, unrecognized underlying factors for many different chronic illnesses. – 1:47
- We can have mycotoxins that actually look like and or attached to thyroid receptors, testosterone receptors, estrogen receptors, et cetera. – 3:17
- Do you find people who are just so poisoned by mold like there’s no hope? – 6:20
- Your limbic system, again, that’s your fight or flight mechanism in the body. – 7:06
- Learning how to heal that and using what are called bioactive lipids to help lift out toxins and replace them with new healthy lipids, – 9:37
- What kind of effects do you see? What happens to people who either have mold and don’t know it. – 13:40
- Women tend to present differently with much more likely to have autoimmune issues. – 15:36
- What’s a pellet disaster? – 16:30
- There’s a 95% divorce rate in moldy household. – 18:05
- If you have sinuses that are full of mold and you got all this inflammation, that’s impacting your frontal lobes. – 23:03
- Mold Rage – 25:17
- People who go to prison, 85% of them have brain dysfunction. A huge percentage of that is caused by mold in the environment. – 28:08
- Let’s talk a little bit more about hormones. Give me the woman hormones symptoms. – 31:06
- If you have cancer or any kind of immune system suppression, you absolutely have to be in a house that has very clean air quality as part of your recovery. – 34:22
- If your innate immune system is suppressed, then you are much, much more likely for that lyme to start expressing itself or its co-infections like bartonella, babesia, or leukosis. – 36:10
- If you talk about weird neurological symptoms and pain, again, oftentimes, you’ll see that molds-lyme combo. – 36:30
- One thing you don’t do is go after it with bleach, because that’s not a good idea. Ideally, you get professionals in there to take care of it. – 37:44
- Have high quality air filtration units in the bedrooms, so that making sure that when everybody’s sleeping, that you’ve got the best air quality possible. – 39:40
- Turn off your WiFi router, that you don’t sleep with any cell phones near your head, you try to turn off all the electronics in your bedroom. – 40:13
- Sinus rinse. That’s a huge piece. I don’t know why they’re not recommending that for COVID prevention at the same time. – 44:17
- If you are being given antibiotics over and over and over again, that’s just crazy. It’s a fungal problem. – 46:17
- People who have severe multiple chemical sensitivity pot syndrome, again, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and even mystery illnesses. I guarantee you a huge piece of that is mold. – 49:36
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.