In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I’m excited to once again be talking to Dr. Steven Gundry, renowned heart surgeon, celebrity doctor, medical researcher and a New York Times best-selling author.
You may know Dr. Gundry from either his previous appearance on the show, episode #417, or by his book, “The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in “Healthy” Food That Cause Disease and Weight Gain.” He’s a leading expert on the lectin-free diet and believes we have the ability to heal ourselves through nutrition when certain dietary obstacles are removed.
He’s now tackling gut health and many of the myths surrounding healthy aging in “The Longevity Paradox: How to Die Young at a Ripe Old Age.” And he starts with the premise that bacteria, rather than our genes, makes us complex and defines our human-ness.
We cover many facets of the microbiome that are contributing to how we age, and Dr. Gundry gives it to us straight:
- “Aging, at its core, is inflammation,” he says. “I, and others, believe that inflammation is from leaky gut, period.”
- “The deal with getting younger is your gut wall is your skin turned inside out,” he says. “What happens on the surface of your gut is reflected on the surface of your skin, they are the same organ.”
- “The reason we’re all so screwed up is that our (gut) soil is also dead, just like our soil that our crops are growing in and no wonder we’ve got such a problem,” he says.
Listen in on this informative discussion about how our bodies are wired to deal with environmental stressors; what long-term health looks like in other parts of the world; and how you can improve your own gut health.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Healthy Aging Begins and Ends in the Gut – Dr. Steven Gundry #604
Bulletproof Radio: How Nutrition Can Reverse Disease and the Impact of Lectins – Dr. Steven Gundry – #417
- The paradox of anti-ageing 00:06:15
- Roundup was originally patented as an antibiotic 00:13:10
- “If everybody is thinking alike, somebody isn’t thinking” 00:21:05
- It’s our bacteria, not our genes that make us humans 00:24:00
- How statin drugs really work 00:44:10
- Most people who can’t tolerate gluten also can’t eat corn 00:54:40
- Bigger Ideas:
- The only American Blue Zone 00:10:20
- Why is Dave so sensitive? 00:17:20
- The seven deadly myths of ageing 00:24:45
- TMAO and its effects 00:27:00
- How growth hormones aid in ageing 00:31:10
- How to look younger as you age 00:51:00
Go check out “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.