IN THIS EPISODE OF BULLETPROOF RADIO…
In Part 1 of our two-part episode with John Jaquish, Ph.D., I talked with him about building bone density—an important factor in your strength and longevity. Don’t miss! Building Strength Isn’t About Weight Lifting Anymore – John Jaquish, Ph.D., with Dave Asprey, Part 1 – #862.
This inventor, author, and scientist created OsteoStrong and the X3 System, a series of devices that combine rehabilitation and advancements in human physiology to build bone density. His extensive research into bone density and strength found that you can approach weight lifting much differently than you may think.
“It appears that the most biological adaptation comes from not the area under the curve, the total volume of work you did, but has to do with how quickly did you go from zero to 100 and back to zero,” John says. “So, a very brief spike of almost anything causes way more adaptation than spiking up to 70% and holding it.”
Now in Part 2, our conversation dives into John’s other findings and lifestyle choices, both as a public figure, a mentor for professional athletes and a fasting enthusiast. We go off the beaten path on a few things:
- Anabolic rebound after fasting (what fasting does to build muscle mass)
- Tendon mutations (and how they make people outrageously strong)
- Taking Viagra (or other non-pharmaceuticals) and carbs to trigger a muscle cell splitting
- The difference between fructose, glucose and sucrose (is there any real difference in the body?)
We also talk about ways to eat for strength and the quest for longevity that guides him. He knows about the tempting danger of eating to only look good (but you feel like crap). He offers tips to make sure you don’t go there.
Check out John’s book to learn more: Weight Lifting Is a Waste of Time: So Is Cardio, and There’s a Better Way to Have the Body You Want
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts. Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form.
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT
Solve Sitting: https://us.harmonidesk.com/, use code DAVE20 and get $20 off any standing desk
Track Your Health: https://info.insidetracker.com/dave, save 25%
Breathe More, Snore Less: https://mutesnoring.com/DAVE; use promo code DAVE10 to save 10%and get free shipping
Control Blood Glucose: https://pendulumlife.com, sign up for membership to get monthly supply delivery, use code DAVE20 to save $20 on your first shipment
DAVE ASPREY BOX: This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/
UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE: Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
Follow Along with the Transcript
How to Build Strength Faster – John Jaquish, Ph.D., with Dave Asprey, Part 2 – #863
More About John Jaquish: https://doctorj.com
Book: Weight Lifting Is a Waste of Time: So Is Cardio, and There’s a Better Way to Have the Body You Want
Bulletproof Radio: Exercise Biohacks To Induce Bone Density and Grow Muscles in Less Time – #427
- If you’re dealing with an elastic band, gravity is not the accelerator, and because of that, you’re not getting the same risk of injury because you can’t wobble and have it continue to accelerate almost indefinitely like it’s in free fall, which is what happens if you drop a bar. – 1:14
- People are fatter and sicker than ever, especially those who consume more aspartame. – 2:59
- Where are you normally targeting when you do TRT? – 6:59
- The control group lost a little bit of muscle because they were on caloric deficit, which is to be expected. – 12:24
- Hyperplasia is the splitting of muscle cells. It’s very rare. Professor Jose Antonio at Florida State University has done the most work. – 17:37
- Now when I stretch, the facia is put at such an extreme that it is stretching with the objective of triggering hyperplasia. – 20:50
- Is there any peptide you could use there, like PT141 doesn’t cause vasodilation, but it sure has other Viagra-like effects. Anything like that? – 23:44
- 1% of the population that has this tendon mutation, and so they’re the ones that can become outrageously strong – 30:30
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.