In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I talk with two guests about all things microbiome.
Tina Anderson is the co-founder and CEO of Just Thrive Health. Her journey into the world of health had a unique start and some unusual turns. She began her career as a trial lawyer and then became in-house counsel for a family pharmaceutical company. But what Tina saw there made her change career direction. She turned toward the field of natural health and found her life’s work in creating a unique probiotic supplement.
Kiran Krishnan is a research microbiologist with particular expertise in the newest frontier in microbiology—gut commensal spore bacteria. He brings his extensive knowledge and practical application of the latest science on the human microbiome. “We know diversity within the microbiome is paramount to health and wellness, and even longevity,” he says.
At Just Thrive Health, the focus is on probiotics that actually survive the Wild West that is your microbiome. “We’re putting a lot of effort into the science to understand microbial communities, microbial community structures and how they work together,” Kiran says.
“In order to be a probiotic, it needs to arrive alive in the intestines,” Tina says. “It needs to actually confer a benefit onto the host, onto the body. Most of these probiotics were just getting into the gut and dying, dying before they ever got into the intestines. So, we looked at the research.”
“You’ve got this gauntlet that microbes have to get through when they go through the oral cavity in order to be alive and function in the gut,” Kiran continues. “So, our question was, are there microbes that can naturally do that?”
The more we’re researching the human microbiome, the more we’re learning about the connection between the gut and all other human body and brain systems. And that means better health for you. Listen on to learn more about what Just Thrive Health has discovered. And yes, you’ll find out how bacteria can be armor-plated, live forever and survive in space.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
- The human microbiome project 00:07:50
- More bacteria is not necessarily better 00:11:15
- We have half of the genes as an earth worm 00:13:25
- Spores that have been here for so long 00:17:00
- Control does not come from the biggest creatures 00:27:25
- Bacteria of very selfish 00:39:10
- Why refrigerated probiotics are bunk 01:01:45
- Spores effect on acne 01:05:50
- Bigger Ideas:
- How working for big pharma made her want to create probiotics 00:05:20
- What spores are and why they work well 00:14:40
- Why probiotics aren’t taken rectally 00:15:50
- Pan spermia may be the first life on earth 00:17:50
- The two parts of diversity 00:22:50
- The colour spore consortium 00:24:20
- How dysentery was cured in WWII 00:28:50
- Why you should care about butyrate 00:32:40
- What is achromancia? 00:35:20
- What do LPS do? 00:38:15
- What happens when you only eat a high-fat diet 00:42:40
- The magic combination of Bulletproof Coffee 00:46:50
- The benefits and problems with Metformin 00:50:20
- What happens when you eat too much protein? 00:53:25
- The quintessential vitamins K2 00:56:20
- Can you take them nasally? 01:04:30
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.