In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is comedian, writer and podcaster Kristen Carney.
She performs stand-up comedy at live shows, on television, and, of course, all over the Internet. She’s also written for Comedy Central and The Adam Carolla Show. As a radio personality, she’s co-hosted “Loveline” with Dr. Drew and Mike, as well as The Adam Carolla Show. While she’s co-hosting the “Ask Women” podcast, she gets candid about sexuality.
And if you’re thinking we’re going to talk about all things funny and sexy today, you’d be right—andwrong.
Kristen juggles all her professional gigs while managing clinical depression. She hosts a podcast—Kristen and Ch(ill)—to bring the real challenges of depression and mental health into an honest public forum.
“When you’re depressed, you’re so weighed down by the smallest little tasks like getting up to take a shower or paying your car bill,” she says. “Those things feel so heavy that the last thing on your list is figuring out how to get a brain scan.”
We talk about how she hacks her brain health, what she does on the just-plain-sucks days, the difficulties of dating when depressed, how shame shows up, and why headstands have become her go-to, feel-better move.
“I’m not trying to spin it positive when it’s not,” Kristen says, “but to actually find the positive in it that’s genuine.” Listen on for some surprising insights.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
The Power of Shame with Depressed Comedian Kristen Carney – #627
Kristen & Ch(ill) Podcast: www.kristencarney.com/kristen-and-chill-podcast
- Imposter syndrome and depression 00:05:00
- My inner critic is buff 00:08:45
- Am I lazy or am I depressed? 00:16:05
- Using envy and shame as a motivator 00:22:35
- I do a crazy amount of headstands 00:24:20
- Emotionally I am a masochist 00:28:50
- I said phooey to self-help 00:52:00
- I have to stay depressed because that is where the art comes from 00:55:50
- Can you be funny without depression? 00:56:45
- Bigger Ideas:
- How do depressed people take compliments? 00:07:20
- Did you come out of the womb with trauma and depression? 00:10:00
- Being a motivated lazy person 00:15:00
- What Kristen does on Instagram when she is feeling depressed 00:20:30
- Dating when you have depression 00:33:30
- At what point do you tell people about your depression? 00:36:10
- The good and bad side of losing our appetite 00:42:50
- The power of shame 00:44:35
- How Kristen deals with her co-host’s death 00:47:20
Go check out “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.