In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is one of the leading experts treating people who have medical problems related to mold exposure.
Over the past 25 years, Neil Nathan, M.D., has become a researcher, complex medical problem-solver and healer—especially of mold toxicity. He treats patients who become too toxic and sensitive, and don’t tolerate usual medical treatments.
“It’s currently thought that there are 10 million people in this country who have some degree of mold toxicity,” Dr. Nathan says. “So, we’re not talking about a rare condition that no one would have any connection to whatsoever. It’s common. And it comes from moldy buildings, which are ubiquitous in this country.”
“Mold symptoms are all over the place,” he says, “because mold toxicity affects inflammation in the body. And every area of the body can be inflamed by mold toxicity.”
There’s a basic biology to all mold dysfunction, explains Dr. Nathan. “Mold toxin enters the cells and begins to interfere with certain types of metabolism. That type of interference affects all parts of the body, including the brain and brain chemistry.”
Dr. Nathan has been practicing medicine for close to 50 years. He’s board certified in Family Practice and Pain Management and currently has a medical practice in Northern California. He has been working to bring an awareness that mold toxicity is a major contributing factor for patients with chronic illness.
In our conversation, we talk about mold’s effect on people, what doctors are getting wrong, and promising new treatments.
“Mold toxicity is something we can diagnose, and we can treat,” Dr. Nathan says. “So if you have yourself, a loved one, a friend, a neighbor, and they’re suffering with a host of conditions and their doctors are scratching their heads and they don’t know what they can do about it—the implication being it’s in your head, but it’s not—tell them about mold toxicity, because it is common and it’s curable.”
Enjoy the show! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
* FOR BULLETPROOF RADIO LISTENERS* The free Toxic Mold Summit airs online Aug. 17-23, 2020. Register at https://toxicmoldproject.com. You’ll hear several dozen experts talk about all things related to mold in the body, brain and environment. You can also join in the free encore weekend Aug. 28-29.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: Toxic: Heal Your Body from Mold Toxicity, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, and Chronic Environmental Illness
Moldy Movie: moldymovie.com
- 10 million people in this country who have some degree of mold toxicity – 3:55
- All types of psychological diagnoses, anxiety, depression, OCD ADHD, derealization, depersonalization where you don’t feel like you’re yourself, all of those can be from mold toxicity. – 6:20
- Very difficult for people to understand the mold toxic level, doesn’t stay stable in the body. It fluctuates. Moves up and down. – 12:11
- If the limbic system is dysfunctional, it will actually prevent the body from allowing you to take what you need to get well. – 14:12
- Many of our patients who get mold toxicity become exquisitely sensitive to the presence of mold and scents – 18:06
- If someone gets a viral infection and they have mold toxicity, it makes them much, much worse. – 21:46
- Are you aware of the cell danger response? 25:06
- All binders don’t work alike and all binders don’t work on all toxins – 30:03
- What happens if you take broad spectrum binders for long periods of time? – 35:14
- There are 80,000 chemicals in this world, and we don’t even know how to measure most of them – 37:10
- I’m not a big fan of multivitamins actually, – 40:16
- I’m a huge hot tub fan, and I probably take a hot tub four or five days a week. Sweating is a superb way to remove toxins. – 41:16
- 80% or 90% of people who think they have Lyme disease actually have toxic mold. – 42:01
- Bartonella is another bacteria that you can get, not just from ticks, but from other sources as well – 45:45
- Mast cells are a type of immune cells that bridges or connects the nervous system and the immune system. 50:22
- SIBO is mildly complicated and basically just means that your gut and your microbiome is messed up – 56:24
- Phase one detoxification and phase two detoxification – 01:01:05
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.