In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guests are doctors who are dedicated to scientific research that supports drug-free solutions for hair loss and thinning hair. They say total hair wellness includes prevention as well as restoration.
Dr. Sophia Kogan is an integrative hair health expert. She is a cofounder and the chief medical strategist at Nutrafol®, where she has coauthored peer-reviewed studies on hair-thinning, hair-loss treatments and botanical medicine.
Hair wellness “is really about utilizing clinically proven and efficacious nutraceuticals,” says Dr. Kogan. “Basically, botanicals that have clinical efficacy to rebalance the pathways from within.”
Dr. Tess Marshall is a naturopathic doctor and Nutrafol’s® director of Product Science & Innovations. With a focus in evidence-based medicine, she has helped design protocols for integrative dermatology, gut health, detoxification, and neuroendocrine optimization. She is trained in nutrient injection therapy and platelet rich plasma aesthetics.
Our conversation today will be about the new research led by Drs. Kogan and Marshall that’s been published in a recent white paper. The results around hair-growth stimulation have exciting implications for both men and women.
You’ll also find out how your nutrition, stress level, microbiome, hormones, sleep and yes, even plastic use, affect your hair wellness and inhibiting hair follicles. It’s all connected, and targeted new treatments are taking a personalized, whole-system approach.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
- A Holistic Approach to Hair Loss-Dr. Sophia Kogan – #535
- The Real Story Behind Hair Loss and the Revolutionary Approach to Treating It – Roland Peralta-#420
- Why Hair Loss Happens and How to Regrow Hair Naturally
- The Science Behind Gray Hair & How to Hack it Naturally
- The real role of good shampoo and conditioner 00:10:30
- The follicle is not separate from the rest of the body 00:18:35
- Poor looking hair is a sign of being unhealthy 00:20:20
- Is some hair loss forever? 00:23:15
- Can we use bacteria to grow hair? 00:29:45
- “Weed, seed and feed” of the Hair-biotic 00:33:00
- Sushi is bad for your hair 00:44:10
- Fun fact about cadmium 00:47:20
- The “hair cycle” is about six years long 00:50:10
- Bigger Ideas:
- What is hair wellness? 00:08:30
- Would either guest recommend hair loss drugs? 00:11:30
- How men and women react to PRP injection in the scalp 00:14:50
- What hair loss pathways need to be addressed? 00:17:25
- How personalization fits in to treatment 00:21:30
- Age matters – especially for women 00:26:05
- The hair connection to the gut 00:27:40
- How prebiotics work on your hair 00:31:50
- How stress affects your hair 00:36:00
- The environmental things that harm your hair 00:44:15
- If you are full-on bald, are you screwed? 00:53:25
- Does red light therapy help hair growth? 00:54:50
- How about a derma roller? 01:05:45
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.