In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, Paul Stamets is with me in person at Alpha Labs. Paul is a speaker, author, mycologist, medical researcher and entrepreneur. He is considered an intellectual and industry leader in habitat, medicinal use and production of fungi, and he considers himself a “mycological warrior.” Listening to him describe, decode and illuminate the workings of the mushroom world is an enthralling experience, indeed.
“Mushrooms can feed you, they can kill you, they can heal you, they can send you on a spiritual journey,” Paul says. He knows all of this from first-hand experience. He’s spent over four decades in the Pacific Northwest studying and researching the world of mushrooms. He lectures extensively and his presentations cover a range of mushroom species and research showing how mushrooms can help the health of people and the planet.
From origins: “Over 500 million years ago, fungi were the first organisms come to land,” Paul says. “Just this past month [May 2019], they found new fossil records that pushes back the entrance of fungi onto land to a billion years ago. This is hundreds of millions of years before plants.”
To modern humans: “You and I are actually mycelial beings, and we are descendant of fungi,” he says. “Fungi are our ancestors.”
Paul says we’re intertwined with mushrooms at a cellular level. He believes that habitats have immune systems—just like people—and mushrooms are cellular bridges between the two. Our close evolutionary relationship to fungi can be the basis for novel pairings in the microbiome that lead to greater sustainability and immune enhancement.
And from neurogenesis to our microbiome to our mitochondria, fungi are linked to us. Part history lesson and all interesting, Paul’s stories are filled with intriguing discoveries.
His research is considered revolutionary and is creating a paradigm shift for helping ecosystems worldwide.
As a special bonus in this episode, Paul shares exciting new information about his work with bees. “This’ll be the first podcast that I’ll be mentioning something that enables and empowers everybody on this planet to do something,” he says. Hint: it has something to do with bears, bees, butterflies and biodefense. Learn more about the BeeMushroomed™ Feeder.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
BeeMushroomed™ Feeder: https://beemushroomed.com
Websites: fungi.com and hostdefense.com
Facebook: facebook.com/FungiPerfecti and facebook.com/PaulStamets/
Instagram: @fungiperfecti and @paulstamets
- Mushrooms can feed you, heal you or send you on a journey 00:07:15
- We live in a shallow and narrow reality 00:11:30
- When lightning strikes, mushrooms appear 00:14:50
- We are Neanderthals with nuclear weapons 00:19:15
- Did bacteria come before fungus? 00:34:05
- The robo-bees chopped the wings off of real bees 01:04:45
- Bigger Ideas:
- 500 million years ago fungi came onto land 00:08:45
- How do you know what you are perceiving is real? 00:13:05
- How mushrooms aided our human evolution 00:21:35
- Is there such a thing as too much psilocybin? 00:24:20
- Yeast vs. mold vs. fungi and the gut 00:29:30
- Is cancer a fungus? 0036:00
- The perfect storm against bees 00:48:25
- Deciduous trees will translocate nutrients to other trees 01:11:20
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.