Welcome to Your Upgraded Summer!
This new series revisits the Top 10 Bulletproof Radio episodes of all time. The topics cover essentials like nutrition, energy, hormones, sleep and autophagy, as well as gut, brain, autoimmune and women’s health.
You’ll get the main points in a shortened version so you can get the good stuff and get on with your summer plans. And if you want to listen to more, tune in to the original episode.
Dr. Steven Gundry takes the No. 2 spot with: How Nutrition Can Reverse Disease and the Impact of Lectins – Dr. Steven Gundry – #417.
More than two decades ago, cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Gundry decided to help people prevent health issues. He retired as a cardiologist to teach patients how to eat, guiding them on how to get ahead of the problem, not fixing it after the fact. He shifted toward a more proactive approach to health through food and diet changes and has since become a pioneer in nutrition.
As a medical researcher and author, he’s spent the last 16 years studying the microbiome and now helps patients use diet and nutrition as a key form of treatment. You may know of his New York Times best-selling books, “The Plant Paradox,” “The Longevity Paradox” and “The Energy Paradox.”
Simply, paradox mean confusing information. What sounds reasonable isn’t or what sounds absurd turns out to be true. There’s no better example than plants. Plants can help your body or try to kill you.
By now you know that “healthy foods” in your diet may not be as good for you as you think. Many seemingly healthy foods contain a protein called lectin which seeks out sugar molecules to bind to, rapidly increasing our likelihood of inflammation. Inflammation leaves your body not only less energetic, but less prepared to fight disease.
Here’s what Dr. Gundry says:
- “[Plants are] chemists of incredible ability. So what they do is they use chemical warfare, and one of their favorite attack mechanisms is the protein lectin, and lectins are so beautifully diabolically designed to wreak havoc on an animal predator.”
- “Our ancient ancestors interacted with 250 different plant species on a rotating basis. All of those plants have polyphenols, flavonoids that not only turn on our individual genes, but more importantly, they alter the gene expression of our microbiome, [which is capable of] rapid alteration in gene expression.”
In this episode you’ll learn about the foods that may be negatively affecting you, why humans ever started eating them in the first place (ahem, corn?), and the power of a healthy diet.
7TH ANNUAL BIOHACKING CONFERENCE: SEPTEMBER 17-19, 2021
DAVE ASPREY BOX
UPGRADE YOURSELF WITH Dave Asprey
Follow Along with the Transcript
Dave Asprey Blog:
- Revenge of the Beans: How Lectins Suck Your Energy And Make You Weak
- Why Hot Peppers Could Land You in the Hospital (hint: lectins in nightshades)
- 4 Top Antinutrients to Avoid — and Why
- How to Identify Your Energy Blockers and Beat Fatigue – Dr. Steven Gundry with Dave Asprey – #803
- How Foods are Harming Your Kids – Steven Gundry, M.D. – #649
- Healthy Aging Begins and Ends in the Gut – Dr. Steven Gundry #604
- How Nutrition Can Reverse Disease and the Impact of Lectins – Dr. Steven Gundry – #417
- You wrote The Plant Paradox, about how plants protect themselves from being eaten – 1:04
- I was so impressed that I actually operated on him. If I had known what I know now, I would have said, “Hey, great going. Let’s clean the rest,” but I wasn’t. I was stupid back then. – 3:02
- We looked at immune markers, and lo and behold, this set of plants came right up on the top of the list. For instance, our favorites, the grains and the beans appeared really very quickly. – 7:06
- Lectins are a communication system, and lectins are patterns that turn receptors off and on. – 8:02
- The Sardinians actually have one of the longest lifespans of any… but they actually have one of the highest autoimmune disease rates in all of Europe. – 13:03
- You don’t have to draw a lab panel. All you have to do is wake up in the morning and make a fist. If you have a harder time making a fist, your grip strength is low, or you have a pain in your feet that you didn’t have before, it’s a pretty sure sign that you were exposed to something, and it’s usually a lectin. -17:37
- I’m actually even more interested in bacterial DNA because as you know, we get all of our mitochondria from our mother. – 19:06
- One of the problems with early antibiotics that probably screws this whole thing up is our original female-to-female connection. No offense to guys. Our mitochondria are female. – 20:03
- The original predator of plants were insects, and lectins were designed to paralyze insects by stopping the communication between nerves. it makes great sense. – 23:55
- The more we realize that this has been an ongoing battle from the day the first insect crawled on the land and said, “Man, this is the garden of Eden. Look at everything there is to eat.” The war started right then, and people have to realize that it’s an ongoing battle, and they’re really clever. – 26:44
- Go to gundrymd.com, and they can sign up for a free newsletter. I post tons of recipes on my YouTube channel, and I post tons of blogs, but best place to start is gundrymd.com. – 28:22
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.