The man who pioneered the science and psychology of Influence returns to Bulletproof Radio today.
Known as “The Godfather of Influence,” Robert Cialdini, Ph.D., is the foundational expert in the science of influence and how to apply it ethically in business.
After nearly 40 years of evidence-based, peer-reviewed scientific research, he’s earned a global reputation for his ability to translate his scientific studies into valuable and practical actions. This makes his principles of influence and persuasion accessible to everyone and a cornerstone for people and organizations serious about effectively increasing their influence.
In this episode, you’re going to learn about the psychology of why people say yes and the brand-new principle of influence Robert has added to the original six, which is unity.
“Unity is a standalone principle of influence,” Robert says. “ If we can, as communicators, simply arrange our language, arrange how we comport ourselves so that people see us as partners with them before we begin the process of trying to move them in our direction, their barriers to influence drop dramatically.”
His latest book, “Influence, New and Expanded: The Psychology of Persuasion,” includes new research so you can become an even more skilled persuader using all seven principles.
You’ll also learn how social influence improves personal relationships and governmental effectiveness and affects work relationships and political decisions.
Robert is president and CEO of Influence at Work and a prolific public speaker. His work and books have been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Inc., Psychology Today Magazine, on the PBS Newshour, and on many podcasts and media outlets.
Enjoy! And get more resources at Dave.Asprey/podcasts.
Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form.
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Trigger Autophagy: https://spermidinelife.us/dave, use code DAVE25 for 25% off your first month’s order
Keep Mold Away: https://homebiotic.com/dave/, lower probiotic home spray price and save 15% off your whole order
High-Performance Leadership: https://www.humanpotentialinstitute.com/coach-training/
DAVE ASPREY BOX
This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/
UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
Follow Along with the Transcript
7 Ways to Influence People – Robert Cialdini, Ph.D., with Dave Asprey – #821
Book: “Influence (New & Expanded): The Psychology of Persuasion”
Bulletproof Radio: Neuromarketing and the Science of Getting What You Want. Dr. Robert Cialdini #507
- You’ve been relatively recently elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the National Academy of Sciences. – 1:41
- Everyone says they want to be influential, but do they even know what they’re asking for. – 2:48
- There was an example that I talk about, being in an airport and hearing the guy behind the counter say that the plane was full. – 6:28
- When someone listening to this saying, “All right, what would I have to do to be influential or to know if influence is being used against me?” What are they? – 8:15
- He added one thing. He said, “But I’m curious, I have a question for you, why did you invite me here today? What was it about my resume or my background?” – 18:32
- Some restaurant managers put little asterisks next to certain items on the menu and each one immediately became 13 to 20% more popular for its popularity. – 21:28
- I move that compliment from my mind to my tongue and it has been remarkable, the consequences of that, for the relationship building features of that next step. – 25:20
- It’s being an authority, not being in authority. – 30:15
- What about scarcity? And that’s your sixth principle from your original book. – 32:54
- If you want things to stay the same, things are going to have to change around here.” I mean, there’s so much wisdom there. – 37:53
- “Can I ask for your advice on it?” You get significantly more favorable reactions to it and responses than if you ask for that person’s opinion. – 45:40
- They were able to identify three kinds of approaches that people who were in the persuader role used to convince their partner to come into line. – 50:08
- I know that there are hundreds, maybe thousands of tactics and techniques and practices that you can use, but it seems to me, you can categorize the great majority of them into just these seven universal principles. – 58:22
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.