In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, one of my favorite authors is back on the show.
Robert Greene has written five New York Times bestsellers. One, in particular, The 48 Laws of Power, changed the course of my professional life. His other books, including: The Art of Seduction, The 33 Strategies of War, The 50th Law, and Mastery, have gained a broad following from war historians to hip-hop industry musicians.
Robert takes a deep and searing look at the inner workings of human behavior based on social and biological science, as well as many of the most powerful people throughout history. In his sixth and most recent book, The Laws of Human Nature, he focuses on people’s drives and motivations, even when they are unconscious of them. “Basically, we’re a social animal,” Robert says. “It’s deeply ingrained in our nature. When we’re not being the social animal that we were born to be, we pay a terrible price.”
This is a must-listen episode full of evocative human insights—you’ll learn the basis of envy and why it persists in social hierarchy. “Envy is complicated and it’s slippery and it’s hard to put your finger on it,” Robert says.
We also discuss early childhood as an underestimated developmental force; how gender rigidity limits your full potential; and the ways in which mortality awareness can be both comforting and freeing.
Follow Along with the Transcript
- People are endlessly fascinating 00:07:45
- We all have traits of the opposite sex 00:20:10
- We now live in a world with no death 00:28:35
- The mystery of life is mind-blowing 00:32:10
- Even primates feel envy 00:41:15
- We don’t express envy honestly and it’s not good 00:44:15
- Envy usually occurs among friends 00:51:20
- Big Ideas:
- Look at your own thought process to see what is weighing you down 00:09:50
- The story of Milton Erickson and his paralysis 00:16:30
- How Robert’s book changed Dave’s life 00:18:10
- The law of death denial 00:27:05
- The idea of reincarnation is very helpful… for some people 00:36:10
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.