Satchin Panda, Ph.D., is a leading expert in the field of circadian rhythm research. As a professor at the Salk Institute in San Diego, California, his research focuses on circadian rhythm in health and disease.
Research in his lab has shown the profound impact of ambient light and daily eating-fasting on the prevention and prognosis of a wide range of diseases including diabetes, depression, metabolic syndrome, heart diseases, and cancer.
He also discovered time-restricted eating in which individuals who eat everything within an 8- to 12-hour period can boost circadian rhythm and prevent or reverse many chronic diseases.
Dr. Panda published a new book titled: The Circadian Code: Lose Weight, Supercharge Your Energy, and Transform Your Health from Morning to Midnight.
In this episode we talk about the impact of Dr. Panda’s research and discoveries had on my Game Changers Law #19: Waking Up Early Does Not Make You a Good Person, his new book, and why circadian rhythm is so closely linked to productivity and performance.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Eating Affects Your Sleep (and vice versa) – Satchin Panda #560
Bulletproof Radio: Light, Dark, and Your Belly, Part 1: #466 (February 2018)
Bulletproof Radio: Light, Dark, and Your Belly Part 2: #467 (February 2018)
- Circadian rhythm came from curiosity 00:06:00
- Every organ has a clock 00:07:30
- How our ancestors changed our genome 00:14:10
- When students sleep more, they improve their grades 00:26:20
- Aim for 8 hours “in bed” 00:29:55
- How does Violet light affect skin? 00:38:30
- Is a cloudy day still good light? 00:47:30
- How do longer fasts fit in with sleep 01:09:15
- How should you break a fast? 01:10:15
- MyLux Recorder 01:25:15
- Bigger Ideas:
- How the liver fits into health 00:09:20
- Is there a proper wake-up time? 00:21:20
- How to fall asleep faster 00:31:40
- Can light on the skin can affect sleep (the main study has been refuted) 00:35:30
- What Satchin does for lighting in his home 00:41:10
- Learning about circadian rhythms from plants 00:59:30
- How to solve circadian issues in space 01:04:05
- Timing makes healthy food into junk 01:13:20
- Mice and Keto 01:16:15
Go check out “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.