You’re probably skipping rest to get more done in your day. Or you think you’re resting while you sleep. The former doesn’t work; the latter just isn’t true. Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith and Kate Northrup approach rest and recovery in ways that actually re-energize and power your performance. In this special episode of Bulletproof Radio, you’ll learn about your “rest deficit” and ways to optimally rest your brain, body, and emotions.
If you enjoy this special episode with Dr. Dalton-Smith and Kate, listen to their full Bulletproof Radio podcasts:
- Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith is a board-certified internal medicine physician, work-life integration researcher, speaker, and best-selling author. She’s been the featured wellness expert for numerous media outlets including MSNBC, Dr. Oz, Fast Company, and Psychology Today. She’s practiced clinical medicine for more that 20 years in the Birmingham, Alabama, area.
- In her book Sacred Rest: Recover Your Life, Renew Your Energy, Restore Your Sanity, she describes seven types of rest that underlie how we show up in the world. All of them affect your performance in different and unexpected ways. “Rest really is about restorative activity,” Dr. Dalton-Smith says. “What are the restorative activities you do to help pour back into these seven areas to counteract the ways that you pour out within your day-to-day life.”
- To see how well you may or may not be resting, take the Rest Quiz at https://ichoosemybestlife.com/quiz/rest-quiz-test/.
- Kate Northrup is an entrepreneur, best-selling author, speaker, activist and mother, she has built a multimedia digital company by doing less and working fewer hours—all while raising two small kids. Her trick? Bending time.
- In her newest book, “Do Less: A Revolutionary Approach to Time and Energy Management for Ambitious Women,” she says a resounding no to the addiction of busyness and debunks the myth that personal worth equals productivity.
- “We might be doing things just because we’re upholding some standards that if we really were to check in with our hearts and souls, they’re not actually bringing us joy,” Kate says. “So, I believe things need to either bring us results or bring us joy. If they don’t bring us results or joy, they have no business in our lives.”
Enjoy! And get more rest and recovery resources below.
Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form.
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
Harness Earth Energy: https://harmony783.com, use code DAVE20 at checkout to get 20% off all grounding footwear and socks
Trigger Autophagy: https://spermidinelife.us/dave, use code DAVE25 for 25% off your first month’s order
Revitalize Your Mitochondria: https://www.timelinenutrition.com, use code ASPREY10 to get 10% off the plan of your choice
7TH ANNUAL BIOHACKING CONFERENCE: SEPTEMBER 17-19, 2021
Dave Asprey and Upgrade Labs host a transformative 3-day event featuring thought-provoking keynotes and fully immersive experiences that push the limits of human advancement, performance and longevity. You will connect with the world’s most innovative minds in the field of human optimization and biohacking. Join the community, at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, Florida. https://www.biohackingconference.com
DAVE ASPREY BOX
This quarterly subscription box gives you access to biohacking resources that can support you in achieving your health goals and unlocking your potential. Go to https://daveaspreybox.com/
UPGRADE YOURSELF EVEN MORE
Learn directly from Dave Asprey in his new membership group https://ourupgradecollective.com
Follow Along with the Transcript
Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith
TEDxAtlanta: The Real Reason Why We are Tired and What to do About it
Book: Sacred Rest: Recover Your Life, Renew Your Energy, Restore Your Sanity
Rest Quiz: ichoosemybestlife.com/quiz/rest-quiz-test/
Dave Asprey Blog
- I’m so excited to have someone who’s going to talk about sacred rest, which is the title of your book. – 2:43
- My approach to health and wellness, really comes from two aspects. I love bringing in the science and I love also bringing in the spiritual part of it. Seeing and how they work together. – 3:06
- I know so many women who get this crazy burst of creativity at the same time as having kids. It’s not optimal timing, but at the same time, I really believe that creating a human stimulates your creativity on a lot of other levels as well. – 4:07
- When you do a brain dump and you write down a list of the things that you think you have to do, or the things that you have on your plate and then I recommend asking the following three questions about the items on that list. One of them, the first one is, “Does this need to be done?” – 6:09
- Emotional rest has to do with your ability to be vulnerable and authentic with other people. I look at it like this, for many of us, we have these personas that we portray, these images that we give out to the world. – 10:41
- Yes. Is it easier for you to do it the first time? Of course it is. Is it annoying to train somebody? Yes. However, it is the best time you could possibly invest in the long-term. – 12:22
- Really awaken and create something inside of you. That helps with that inspiration we need to be able to do the other innovative things in our life. – 15:59
- Okay, if I calm my central nervous system and I can be operating from parasympathetic instead of sympathetic, then I’ll get more blood flow to the appropriate areas of my brain and it’ll make me more productive.” – 16:47
- I want something left at the end of the day, so that I’m smiling, I’m happy, I have something to bring home to my husband and my kids, and I’m not bringing the exhausted version of me. I’m bringing still the version of me that’s able to serve them to the best of my ability. That’s what rest does. – 19:37
- There’s the things that just bring you joy and then there are the things that add value to the world. If you were to create a Venn diagram, you want to do work, ideally that is the intersection of the two, that little, if it were the vesica Pisces, which is a beautiful, sacred geometry sign. It’s that little ellipse in the middle. – 20:44
- We have orthorexia for people like, “Oh my goodness, I’m not eating the right kind of foods.” Now we have restorexia, which you’ve just invented on this show. How do people know? Okay, I should focus my rest investment. I’m going to focus today on one of these seven kinds. How would you go about knowing which is the one that you need the most? – 22:31
- Your strength of self is that strong then asking for help becomes so much easier because it no longer is a hit against your value as a human. A lot of us struggle with this because we think it’s a sign of weakness, – 24:44
- Okay. Number one, number two, number three, number four, in terms of which kinds of rest people need the most. – 26:41
- Kate Northrup:
For people who are having sleep disruption, insomnia, or waking up a million times a night or whatever it is, they are able to get themselves able to sleep normally by doing yoga nidra.It’s a guided meditation where you lie down and it’s 15 or 20 minutes. Somebody walks you through it either in person or on an audio. It is a very profound experience of restoration and relaxation in an incredibly efficient way. For me, it’s 10 million times more effective than taking a nap. – 28:53
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave us a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
Want to help others reach their full potential? Check out the incredible Human Potential Coach Training program I set up with Dr. Mark Atkinson.