Hacking Thyroid, Autoimmunity & Aging – Interventions With Dave
Learn to think about health problems differently, ask questions that lead to answers, and upgrade your biology.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
… Dave talks with Michael Ford about low thyroid function, autoimmunity and aging concerns.
At 70, Michael has been biohacking for over three years, takes a consistent supplement regimen, incorporates intermittent fasting, and does frequent microbiome and blood checks.
He takes only one medication for low thyroid function and is looking for alternative ways to manage it. He suspects he has an autoimmunity issue and would like to explore that more.
In the past few years, Michael has seen the health of colleagues, friends and elderly family members decline considerably. He’s concerned about aging and wants direction on how to live to be fully functional at 140 (or more!). With so much health information available to the general public–much of it contradictory, Michael asks Dave for insight and input.
"Thyroid is the energy hormone. It's the thing that is the thermostat for how much electrons you're going to make. And that's important."
In this “Interventions With Dave” episode, Dave also talks with Michael about:
- Cortisol-causing excess weight
- Visceral fat
- Healthy fats
- Red light benefits
- Dental health
- Breathing & mouth taping
- Improving brain blood flow
They look at his health concerns through a new lens and discuss actionable next steps. Don’t miss the “Links & Resources” section below for specific information.
Note: The “Interventions With Dave” recommendations are designed to help you upgrade yourself and your biology so you can perform better at everything you do. They are not, however, a substitute for advice or treatment by a trained medical professional that may be needed for specific health conditions, illness or injury.
Listen to the Interventions With Dave series:
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
8th Annual Biohacking Conference: Come join like-minded people September 15, 16 & 17 in Beverly Hills, Calif., for three days of awesome!
You’ll learn from dozens of experts at an amazing event that’s designed to upgrade every area of your life.
- Thyroid is the energy hormone. It’s the thing that is the thermostat for how much electrons you’re going to make, and that’s important. – 2:42
- I saw my colleagues and friends get to their late sixties and plummet. – 8:08
- Do you think that’s what turned on the thyroid problem? Or do you think this might have been a longer standing issue? -12:02
- C-reactive protein is one of the top four markers that I recommend in The Bulletproof Diet, my book for 10 plus years. – 16:17
- Something else that is going to affect your longevity is breathing through your mouth. – 22:01
- There are thousands of lectins. Not all lectins are bad. Your body makes them as a normal biological molecule. – 25:31
- Usually, cortisol creates the gut in the front. You probably have an issue with cortisol, which also can contribute to the stuff around your organs. – 29:40
- You’re taking some basic aminos. Good. You’re taking TA-65. This is something that lengthens telomeres. – 35:15
- Tape your mouth when you go to sleep. Use some sort of sleep tracking. You’ll just be amazed. It is a very, very big change in the quality of your sleep, and thus your longevity. – 39:53