How to Fix Your Brain When It’s Tired, Wired and Slow
Matt Gallant & Mr. Noots
You can radically increase BDNF and support neurogenesis with the right mushrooms and collagen.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
… you’ll find out why aging and stress are the major contributors to neurodegenerative diseases in your lifetime, what you can do to stave off the effects, and how you can kickstart your brain into functioning at a way higher level. You’ll also learn about:
- BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor) and ways to increase it
- Options for how you can support your brain’s neurogenesis
- How certain mushrooms and collagen can be used to increase your cognitive function—so you can focus, concentrate and be more creative
- How customized nootropics can help you reach peak mental performance
Matt Gallant keeps coming back on the show to introduce innovative supplements that work with your brain and body. We’ve talked about nootropics, psychobiotics, magnesium, enzymes, blood sugar, gut health and more.
As co-founder of BiOptimizers, Matt makes important connections within body systems and finds unique ways to maximum human performance. After a personal health scare with his own brain, he’s turned his professional attention to hacking and upgrading the brain in as many ways as possible.
Most people’s brains aren’t at 100% due to many factors, he says, like lack of sleep, chronic high stress, an inadequate diet, and overuse of certain drugs and prescriptions.
Mr. Noots, (scientist Mark Effinger) teamed up with Matt on this quest to support brain health and improve cognitive function. After a childhood exploring everything science, chemistry and physics, he joined the US Air Force and became an endurance athlete and bodybuilder. His life, like Matt’s, took an unexpected turn and he struggled with health issues. It took creative, performance-enhancing nutrition to get himself well. He’s now Chief Product Officer for the mind-enhancing compounds and stacks of nootropics at Nootopia and works side-by-side with Matt.
“One of the benefits of BDNF is clearing out dead, old, ineffective neurotransmitters. When those neurotransmitters are then rejuvenated, now you've got much more brain power to work with.”
Their newest product, Collagenius, combines powerful mushroom extracts and collagen into a formula specifically to energize your brain and body. Collagen improves skin health, relieves joint issues, strengthens hair and nails, and prevents bone loss—and it also does your brain a lot of good.
“There’s incredible brain repairing benefits to collagen, and that’s why we add it [to Collagenius] along with the other things as a co-factor,” Matt says.
And here’s what the mushrooms do for you in the right amounts. That’s the key principle—the dose creates the effect.
- Lion’s Mane: Boosts BDNF
- Chaga: A natural anti-inflammatory that supports immunity
- Reishi: Alleviates stress
- Cordyceps: Elevates athletic performance and maximizes brain health
So why is BDNF so important? “BDNF is this core piece that is the catalyst for neurogenesis,” Mr. Noots explains. “Neurogenesis are blooms of new neurons that allow you to then create new neural pathways, as well as to attack old memories, old cognitive support systems, and the process of being able to go from being not necessarily cognitively aligned to being able to create brand new process. Molecular transformation—or molecules of transformation—is what we call how Lion’s Mane works with the brain.”
Together, Matt and Mr. Noots continue pushing limits and finding ways to make your brain operate at its highest capacity.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR THE HUMAN UPGRADE LISTENERS
Go to https://nootopia.com/davegenius, use code DAVE10 to get an extra 10% off.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
- Matt, What happened to your brain and what did you do to get at where it is now? – 3:28
- BDNF, brain derived neurotrophic factor, is this core piece that is the catalyst for neurogenesis. – 6:59
- The most important system in the body for basically our experience of life is our nervous system. – 10:29
- Mark is the most brilliant nootropic stack designer that I’ve met. He’s been doing extractions in chemistry since he’s seven. – 17:23
- Ultrasound brings another level of extraction process, and the ultrasound is used on both the heated water based extraction and on the alcohol extraction. – 21:51
- In addition to lion’s mane, we also did a 100 to one chaga extract, which is really great. It’s an anti-inflammatory and immune booster. – 25:37
- The equivalent for every dose, which is about 17 and a third grams per dose, equals 1.2 to 1.5 pounds of mushrooms. – 29:18
- In a supplement world you have molecule creators and then you’ve got supplement companies. – 31:54
- One of the things we’re dedicated to in Nootopia is how do you program your state change? You can do that. You can go from sick to superhuman. – 40:07
- I’ll share the curious moment I had in that period after I got sober. I still remember to this day. – 42:45
- Another big one too is word recall. Tracking how many times a day are you struggling to find a memory or find a word. That’s a big one. – 48:47
- As far as what blows your brain out, it’s stress. And why? Because it destroys your hippocampus. – 51:44
- It’s always a good day when Mr. Noots shows up with a mystery potion. I have to say, it’s one of my favorite things in the world. – 53:55