Upgrade Spotlight: Probiotics to Power the Gut-Brain Axis
Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN / Omni-Biotic
New delivery, strains and formulations manage stress and detox to decrease your inflammation and increase your mood and brain function.
Omni-Biotic sponsored this podcast.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
…you’re listening to a new Upgrade Spotlight series based on what you told me you wanted to hear on this podcast. On one Friday each month, these shorter episodes will feature guests who’ll get right into useful information in a Q&A style.
You’ll find out how to improve your energy and upgrade your performance. You’ll also get the latest knowledge about powerful tools and technologies that allow you to change your biology and the environment around you.
Introducing Omni-Biotic! During this Upgrade Spotlight, you’re going to find out how probiotics can do more than keep your gut microbiome in order—specific strains can help you manage your stress and regulate your body’s detox system.
The beneficial bacteria in your gut support essential processes in the body, such as digestion and absorption, immune function, detoxification, and brain function. But did you know that 80% of the immune system lives in the gut and 95% of serotonin is produced in the gut? That’s a lot for the gut to do!
Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN, joins the show to talk about one of her favorite topics—the gut-brain axis. Keri’s a registered dietitian, certified nutritionist, healthy cooking expert and author of four books. She also founded Nutritious Life, a lifestyle and media company and Nutritious Life Studio, an online education platform focused on nutrition, coaching, and business.
In this conversation, you’ll learn how Omni-Biotic’s unique delivery mechanism and multi-species, multi-strain formulations work together to upgrade your gut AND your brain.
“That’s what I find incredibly exciting and powerful with these products is that they are targeted. They're multi-strained, and the delivery mechanism makes them effective.”
Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN / Omni-Biotic
The gut-brain access goes two ways, Keri explains. “Your brain is affecting your gut. Your gut is affecting your brain—and from everything. That’s why it’s so incredibly important to maintain that healthy microbiome and to have a healthy balance of good [bacteria].”
To target the gut-brain axis, Omni-Biotic developed special formulations called psychobiotics: one for detox, the other for stress. Then they put them to the test in clinical studies.
- Hetox contains eight beneficial bacterial strains. Clinical studies show improvements in liver function, cardiometabolic markers and inflammation markers related to liver health.
- Clinical studies show that Stress Release supports digestion and the gut flora during times of stress, reduces intestinal inflammation, increases emotional balance, cognition, and mood.
“There’s always going to be a balance of good and bad bacteria, but we need a certain amount of good bacteria to be healthy,” Keri says. “When we’re stressed, a lot of that good bacteria dies. When that happens, we have inflammation in our gut and that constant inflammation can lead to leaky gut [and other gut dysfunction].”
Omni-Biotic also tests its probiotics in an artificial GI simulator against other top probiotic brands in the U.S. market. It ensures that 83% of its probiotics arrive alive and active in the intestines. In comparison, the probiotic survival rate of other brands averages 7%.
The bacterial strains in Omni-Biotic are freeze-dried to make them more shelf-stable and the powder contains specific prebiotic nutrients. These prebiotic nutrients serve as the food source for the probiotic bacteria.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR LISTENERS OF THE HUMAN UPGRADE: Visit https://www.omnibioticlife.com and use code Dave20 to get 20% off.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Probiotics, everyone listening knows what they are. So what’s different about stress management. – 1:29
- The Omnibiotic delivery system is what makes it different from other prebioitics – 7:43
- Our brain is affecting your gut. Your gut is affecting your brain and from everything that’s why it’s so incredibly important to maintain that healthy microbiome and to have a healthy balance of good. – 14:03
- There was a 70% reduction in endotoxin levels, a 48% improvement in triglyceride levels, 20% improvement in total cholesterol and a 64% improvement in insulin resistance. – 20:09
- I always tell people diversity with exercise diversity, with food diversity, with your probiotics, in terms of the strains, you need diversity, you need to shake things up. – 25:21