Goal Get It! How to Reflect, Dream and Focus Your Way to Success
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
Entrepreneur, investor and artist Payal Kadakia brings a fresh perspective to your understanding of goals. She knows a lot about setting big goals and reaching them.
She founded ClassPass and over a decade grew it to become the leading fitness and wellness membership service valued at over $1 billion. Mindbody acquired ClassPass in October 2021. At that time, members had logged more than 100 million hours of workouts across 30,000 partner studios in over 30 countries.
“When I went on this journey, I knew that I was going to be in it for the long term, but more importantly, I knew that I wasn’t going to stop until I solved the problem I set out to,” Payal says. “And I didn’t doubt myself for a second to say I wasn’t going to solve it.”
We’re going to talk today about how you can upgrade your own goal setting with “LIFEPASS: Drop Your Limits, Rise to Your Potential.”
Using her company Class Pass as an example, Payal highlights the importance of knowing your strengths, your unique talents, who you are, and investing in the right people and mentors to show you the way.
Payal gives insight on how to set boundaries in service to your priorities, and how every minute of the day belongs to YOU, not anyone else. This means you don’t have to hold onto any guilt about doing what’s right for you.
“A lot of times we talk about passion and purpose without the execution side or we talk about the type A execution side without purpose. And I know my story would not be possible without the combination of the two.”
You’re more likely to reach your goals when you get to let go of the pressure to achieve a traditional kind of success and instead fuel your life with purpose. And when you focus on a life of creativity, you get to live the life you most want to live.
“What made me a good entrepreneur was my passion for dance, was my creativity, was my ability to move swiftly in and out of things,” Payal says.
The 4-step LifePass Method combines intuition, pie-in-the-sky dreams, micro focus, and macro goals.
- Reflect: Where have you been?
- Dream: Where do you want to go?
- Focus: What are your priorities?
- Set Goals: What’s the plan?
Payal, an Operations Research and Economics graduate from MIT, been featured in most major news outlets; listed as Fast Company’s 100 Most Creative People; and named to Fortune‘s 40 under 40 list.
She formerly worked as a consultant at global management consulting firm Bain & Company and was part of Warner Music Group’s Digital Strategy and Business Development Group.
She’s also got an extraordinary artistic side. She founded The Sa Dance Company in 2008 and serves as Artistic Director.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
- As I’m sure you know with your own companies, it is all about changing people’s lives, having impact. – 3:02
- I’m this odd combination of both. Yes, I have these great foundations, I have good skills, but I honestly have really been driven by passion and purpose. – 6:48
- How did you build and maintain the fire as you described or the spark that you balanced it out with? Where’s that from? – 10:20
- First of all, the way I approach goal setting, and I think this is important for everyone, and yes, it is about following the steps, but more importantly, it’s about developing a habit to do it. – 14:25
- You need to know what to prioritize and why. So prioritize it based on how you want to feel and prioritize it based on the area of your life you really want to make an impact in it. – 19:47
- I make people write down the words that they were reflecting on, because if you had a word anxiety, what areas of your life were causing you anxiety? Let’s work on them. – 24:52
- What that you’ve written in LifePass changed after you had a kid? – 28:19
- So growing up, I was Indian and American. And I didn’t fit into, at least I didn’t feel like I fit into anywhere I was. So what I did is I split myself in two. – 31:34
- I realized that I had chosen the right people to help me out with this company and to invest because they were invested in my passion. – 36:38
- When I write something down, I have a contract with myself that I know it’s going to get done. I believed in my ability to get things done. And so when I chose to do something, I did it. – 44:37