You Control Your Own Karma
Karma isn’t a system of reward or punishment, it’s an internal process of your own identity, intention and choices.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
Sadhguru, a yogi, mystic, visionary and spiritual master who spreads wisdom around the world, clarifies the meaning of karma (no, it’s not a checklist of good and bad deeds) and explains how much you’re in charge of your own karma.
His most recent book, “Karma: A Yogi’s Guide to Crafting Your Destiny,” breaks down the ways in which karma frames our lives.
“It’s time to unpack the most overused, abused and yet indispensable world in the spiritual vocabulary of the world,” says Sadhguru in his book. “It is time to examine how karma is connected to some of the most vital areas of human inquiry: the meaning of life and above all, how to live it.”
Karma is made up of three things: intent, content and outcome. But the only way to truly determine the path of your actions is by setting your identity. Doing so determines the nature of your thought and emotion. Sadhguru won’t sugarcoat it—creating your karma is up to your action, your responsibility and your dedication to constant learning.
“Education means just this,” Sadhguru says. “A constant process of identifying yourself with newer and newer things or more and more things that at the end of the game, you don’t know who the hell you are. You are a heap of things.”
"If you pay sufficient attention to life, you will realize you don't know a damn thing about anything."
Sadhguru also covers the complexity of accessing your consciousness, the relationship between the elements and your individuality, and how you can create unity in the face of conflict to open up your view of the world.
Three decades ago, Sadhguru founded Isha Foundation, a nonprofit human-service organization, with human well-being as its core commitment. He’s received three presidential awards in India, including one for his environmental work as well as the country’s highest annual civilian award for exceptional and distinguished service. He ranks among the 50 most influential people in India.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
SOCIAL: Follow @thehumanupgradepodcast on Instagram and Facebook.
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: https://ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
https://www.quicksilverscientific.com, use code DAVE15 to save 15% on your first order
Upgrade Your Magnesium:
https://magbreakthrough.com/DAVE, use code DAVE20 to get 20% off. You’ll also get FREE bottles of BiOptimizers’ best-selling products with select purchases.
Exclusive discount through November 30, 2021.
Book: “Karma: A Yogi’s Guide to Crafting Your Destiny”
Sadhguru App: Sadhguru App (Download) onelink.to/sadhguru__app
- Where does consciousness start? Does start inside ourselves and eventually make it to our brains? Or does it start in our brains and eventually make it to ourselves? 3:01
- You’ve named yourself Sadhguru, which means uneducated guru. – 4:45
- This is not about Heaven. This is not about Hell. This is about life because life is the greatest phenomena that’s happening here. – 8:05
- Nature: earth, water, fire, air, and space. These five elements are the basis of life. This is how the yogic science looks at the life and creation. These five elements play in everything from a single atom to a human being, to the whole planet and to the cosmos, these five elements. – 10:10
- In the east, when somebody said something totally crazy that nobody understood, they were valued. – 14:30
- Can you walk into the difference between intent versus outcome? 20:43
- If there is no karma, there is no way. Karma is the glue which sticks you to your body. If there is no karma, you cannot be with your physical self.25:31
- The simple litmus test is this. Is your peacefulness and joyfulness dependent on something, or it is just by its own nature? This is a litmus test for you, because if it is dependent on something, this means that your identities are in a place where you cannot be inclusive.- 29:46
- I say, “If I see what you see, you will also burst out in laughter. The problem is you are seeing the skin of life.” – 33:17
- If we assume everything that we believe is a hundred percent, then it’s a disaster because the conflict in the world is not between good and bad. The conflict in the world is always about my belief versus your belief. Why do we believe? Simply because we are not even sincere enough to admit we do not know.- 41:36