How to Eat Smarter and Trigger Your Metabolic Switches
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
… you’ll learn how you can make smarter food choices to support your metabolic energy and upgrade your brain. You’ll also find out some new things about body fat. For example, did you know that it’s a complex organ that communicates throughout your entire body system? You’ll get tips on fat loss essentials and how to use them to your advantage.
Today’s guest, Shawn Stevenson, hosts a popular podcast called The Model Health Show. He’s a nutritionist, researcher and bestselling author with education and experience in business, biology, and nutritional science.
Shawn’s been in the health and wellness space and doing clinical work as a nutritionist for nearly two decades. He’s known for his ability to keep learning and evolving his approach with deep research into the science of human health.
“What we tend to do in healthcare is we blame the person, not the practitioner who’s providing them the information,” Shawn says. “So, it’s their fault. ‘They won’t listen.’ So, I went through that as well. Thankfully, I had the audacity to question my biases at that time. I learned to finally start to dial in what’s best for this person, at this time in their life, right now.”
He’s all about improving human performance and energy with science-backed basics like food in his “Eat Smarter” book and sleep in his “Sleep Smarter“ book.
This episode gets right into food choices you can make—and why they work—to stoke your metabolic energy. Topics like:
- How people can better understand the process of fat loss.
- How the misconstrued science of calories contributes to how much people struggle with their diets.
- What metabolic switches are, what do they do, and why it’s important for you to know how to turn them on and off.
"If we're talking about something that can accelerate your aging—of course it's carrying excessive amounts of body fat."
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
SOCIAL: Follow @thehumanupgradepodcast on Instagram and Facebook.
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
Custom Silver for Health & Healing:
https://tru47.com/dave, use code DAVE20 to get 20% off for a limited time
Customized Nootropics for Your Own Neurochemistry:
https://nootopia.com/dave, use code DAVE10 to get 10% off
Book: “EAT SMARTER: Use the Power of Food to Reboot Your Metabolism, Upgrade Your Brain, and Transform Your Life”
Research studies mentioned during this episode:
- Hypothalamic inflammation: a double-edged sword to nutritional diseases
- Oleocanthal-Rich Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Restores the Blood–Brain Barrier Function
- International journal of obesity and related metabolic disorders – Supplementation with medium chain triglycerides
- The British Medical Journal. “When somebody loses weight, where does the fat go?”
- The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism – Water-Induced Thermogenesis
- Coming Soon!