Hacking Deep Sleep – Interventions With Dave
Learn to think about health problems differently, ask questions that lead to answers, and upgrade your biology.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
… Dave talks with George Hanna about how to get better deep sleep.
George says he’s been a health and fitness buff for most of his life. Now in his early 60’s, he’s adopted much of the biohacking lifestyle, including sleep hacks. Yet, deep sleep continues to elude him. He and Dave get into factors that could be messing with his circadian rhythm, like temperature, light, overtraining, heart rate variability, glucose monitoring, blood sugar and more. They also go over potential tweaks to:
- Amino Acids
If you struggle with sleep or simply want to learn to fine-tune the sleep you’re getting, take a listen to this episode for tips and resources.
“There's so much you could do for sleep; it can be overwhelming. So, this isn't about spending money on sleep. It's about lifestyle practices and habits.”
Note: The “Interventions With Dave” recommendations are designed to help you upgrade yourself and your biology so you can perform better at everything you do. They are not, however, a substitute for advice or treatment by a trained medical professional that may be needed for specific health conditions, illness or injury.
Listen to the other episodes in the Interventions With Dave series and don’t miss the “Links & Resources” section below for specific information.
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
- What I’m talking to Dave about today is my sleep. I have very bad, very poor deep sleep numbers. – 2:01
- So the first thing is, Do you go to sleep at the same time every night? – 3:45
- So there are three things in order that set your circadian timing. – 6:01
- You’re doing some things that also improved deep sleep like Apollo Neuro, which is part of the sleep challenge. You’re wearing the TruDarks, which is part of the challenge. You’re using the BioCharger on most days. – 10:47
- But here’s what’s interesting. When most people train more, you get more deep sleep. – 13:38
- Ever play with continuous glucose monitoring to look at what your blood sugar is doing? – 15:24
- I’m going to ask you some questions about timing because most supplements have a circadian basis to them that we don’t recognize. – 17:03
- Melatonin is made in your mitochondria, not just your pineal gland. So if you have a good functioning mitochondria, you’ll probably have better melatonin levels. – 21:21
- An HRV of eight, that’s not going to happen from just blue lights. I’m looking at all your supplements. You’re not pounding coffee before bed. You’re doing so many things right. – 25:22
- The other thing that might increase deep sleep that you’re not doing is valerian root. – 27:18