Spirituality Upgrade: Exploring Energy, Experience & Reality
Deepak Chopra & Abdul Hayy L. Holdijk
How new understandings of the spirit and soul make room for both neuroscience and holistic healing.
In this Episode of The Human Upgrade™...
…two spiritual masters continue discovering new layers of and models for human experience. This combined episode covers aspects of consciousness, conscious agents, biodynamics, emotional body energy, the Enneagram, homeopathy and much more.
Deepak Chopra, M.D., FACP, is a world-renowned pioneer in integrative medicine and personal transformation. TIME magazine described him as “one of the top 100 heroes and icons of the century.” He’s been exploring the intersection of science and spirituality for decades.
Deepak’s 90th book: “Metahuman: Unleashing Your Infinite Potential,” gets into what it means to be “beyond human.” You’ll learn how to question reality, move past limitations constructed by your mind, and enter a new state of awareness. And when you realize a “reality without limits,” you’ll be able to realize your full human potential.
“The experience and the awareness of experience are related, but independent,” Deepak says. “Consciousness gives continuity to perceptual snapshots. Humans have language to express that, and they use different languages with the same meaning. So, once you imbue an experience with the meaning, it becomes the word. It becomes an object.”
Abdul Hayy Lammert Holdijk has followed a Sufi path for the past 40 years, studying religion and consciousness with a hefty dose of pragmatism. He lectures on topics such as Epigenetics, Neurobiology, the Enneagram, Shadow Work, Voice Dialogue, Love, Dream interpretation, Jekyll and Hyde, Hayy Ibn Yaqzan, and a wide range of other topics related to consciousness and personality development.
“The energy body, and this is traditional for almost all alternative medicine, is a regulator,” Abdul says. It regulates the emotional, mental, and physical body. This is what we call the self-healing capacity of a human being.”
Abdul taught at the American University in Beirut for several years, and then at the American University in Cairo for 35. His profound life story includes adventure, spirituality seeking, questioning tradition and teaching others. He also leads spiritual retreats in Lebanon, Egypt, Oman, and the surrounding region.
If you liked this special episode with Deepak and Abdul, you’ll learn even more from listening to their full podcasts, directly below.
“Biodynamics is interesting because it maps out evolutionary developments in value systems in cultures.”
Abdul Hayy Lammert Holdijk
Enjoy the show!
LISTEN: “Follow” or “subscribe” to The Human Upgrade™ with Dave Asprey on your favorite podcast platform.
REVIEW: Go to Apple Podcasts at daveasprey.com/apple and leave a (hopefully) 5-star rating and a creative review.
FEEDBACK: Got a comment, idea or question for the podcast? Submit via this form!
JOIN: Learn directly from Dave Asprey alongside others in a membership group: ourupgradecollective.com.
- Our Partners
- Links & Resources
- Key Notes
- Let’s just get into it. What is a Metahuman? – 00:44
- One of the interesting things I teach, I don’t know if you know about, is a typology that I find actually very useful is the Enneagram. – 1:32
- Maybe the Enneagrams describes your skeletal system. Homeopathy might describe your circulatory system. So it’s you, but it’s not you. – 4:34
- In the movie that we call the world is the presence of consciousness. So consciousness gives continuity to perceptual snapshots. – 7:38
- One of my Enneagram teachers taught me. All models are false, but some may be useful. – 9:41
- In Germany, for example, you can buy homeopathic remedies over the counter. – 11:35
- I delved into Buddhism. Then I delved into Kashmir Shaivism. Then I went straight into Vedanta the non-dual traditions of the world. At this time, I was deep in meditation. I had many spiritual masters. – 14:54
- If I want to maintain somebody’s health, I do recommend certain kinds of plant extract, like Ginkgo, for example. Berberis is a very good one. – 15:54
- What do you do for jet lag? – 16:08
- So the thing that happened to these great, we call them profits or sages or luminaries, is number one, they transcended models. Number two, as a result of the experience of what can only be called infinite. – 19:12
- Biodynamics is interesting because it kind of maps out evolutionary developments in value systems in cultures. – 19:51
- Now, this is another important point for people. The experience and the awareness of experience are related, but independent. – 22:24
- The brain that learned to skate is not the brain that remembers how to skate. – 27:50
- The whole principle of a transmission line, and it’s almost in all the religious traditions, it’s because you kind of plug in. And it’s that connection. So I usually operate in obscurity. – 29:12